Monday, April 12, 2010

Week 1 - "Race Week"

It has come down to the last week. 7 days left and I will be in Hopkinton, MA awaiting the 114th running of the Boston Marathon.

Sunday was a wonderful day (except for the pollen). I ran my last long run before the marathon. I ran 10 miles on the Cumming Greenway. I wish I could say I floated along with ease but that was not the case. The pollen was rough on the sinuses, every bone ached and every muscle burned. To top it off I could not for the life of me hold pace. I was actually too fast. I had to maintain marathon pace for the 10 miles but ended up being 9 seconds too fast per mile.

You could say, "Wow! That is great! You are ready!" But in long distance running I might be signing my own death warrant. Too fast and I will blow up in the hills of Newton and Chestnut Hill making the last 6 miles brutal to run.

Doubts are still there and I keep thinking about that I only need to run a 3:30:00 to BQ for 2011 so I can run with my wife Sarah and all my friends. But, this is not my nature to just get by. I need to and want to push my body to see what I am capable of.

This week I am going to stay focused to the goal paces I must achieve.

As for the rest of the weekend and the "Staycation" is was great. I enjoyed the time I spent with the girls with no pressure of worrying what was going to happen or having a set schedule.

This will be my last entry for until I have completed my goal. There is a lot of logistics I need to coordinate since I fly in on Sunday morning and fly home on Monday evening.

A race report will follow next week.

1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt whatsoever in your ability to pull off what you want to pull off, Corey. As we all know, a little bit of doubt, just like a little bit of fear, is very healthy; it keeps you on your toes and therefore on your game. You've got game, bro, and you're going to rock it. And know that while you're enjoying your romp, your friends back here will be pulling for you every step of the journey. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete