Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesday

A few days ago I wrote about friendship. My opinion has not changed as to what I wrote, it has just been more solidified. I am finding out that a few people in my life are moving deeper to the true friend status. People I know care for me as I do for them. I have also laid witness to people who have been malicious to others who call them their friends. Their words have been less than kind not only hurting another, but driving others, including myself away from them.

Life is too short to waste time on certain types of people. That is why I don't.

This morning was track. We had a good group of runners out there this morning. Amy (coming back from vacation and looking for some punishment), Ann Marie, Stacy, Bob, Darin, Phil and of course Mr. Speed, Ken. All I can say about Ken is, "when I grow up I want to run as fast as him".

The main group of these runners mesh well together. Every Wednesday we each have our own workout, but we respect the other runners on the track and rarely do we get into each others way. There is constant encouragement and of course friendly banter. When you get a bunch of hyped up middle age athletes on the track we need that extra, smack talking to motivate us.

It is all in fun.

With everyone doing "their thing" one thing I kept my sights on was Bob & my track workout. This morning brought, 2 X (6 X 400's) with an RI of 1:30. Bob's goal was 1:28 (which he never saw, fast, fast, fast...X 4) and I got to run 1:24's. Not to be a hypocrite in this case I was fast on 11 out of 12 400's.

Ann Marie has 8 X 400's and her and Phil settled in between Bob and I at each start. Ann Marie was easily hitting the mark and then some on her 400's. I kept taunting her that I was going to tell Ken (her tri-coach) that he needs to up her workouts. All I get is the "grin", meaning, "you keep your mouth shut". All in fun, all in fun.

During the workout the 400's felt controlled and even the whole time. Phil comment that we were fast. I chuckle at this because in running circles Bob and I hover in, we are by far not fast, but middle of the road. I said, thanks thinking in 5 years will someone say that too me?

At the end of the 400's with 1 to go, of course Bob and I had to light it up a little at the 200 meter mark, as Bob cruised in at 1:16 and I finished at 1:14. It may not sound fast to some, but for the 12th-400 for two 45 year old dudes, we'll take it.

On the way back Bob mentioned he wants to test himself to see it he can hit a 1:07 on a 400M. He did this 5 years ago and wants to attempt it again. Re-living his glory days. Before this training is over, we will go knock 1 and only 1, 400 meter out for time.

We all hit the upstairs stretching area, talked for a bit and went our separate ways. I have said this in the past, but Track with company even if you are not hitting your times is a whole heck of a lot nicer than running this workout in the middle of February in the sleet. Been there and will probably be there again.

Thanks runners for being there for me, even if you did not even know it. I enjoyed sprending time with you this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment