Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tuesday's Down, Wednesday's Up

Wednesday started out quite slow. After the massage I had on Monday that literally tore me apart, my body was fatigued Tuesday night.

I decided in the middle of the day as I sat at my desk in agony that track was out of the question. Running was not going to happen, spin was off the docket and swimming was already completed that morning.

I notified Stacey that I was going to skip the track and at that moment, all I knew I needed was a good night sleep.

This became increasing apparent as the day wore on. At one point, my legs and back were in such a place of contention with the rest of my body that I decided to read some emails standing up. After a few minutes, I actually fell asleep standing at the desk. Not good. Sleep was needed but it was too early in the day and too much work to be done.

After work, my eldest daughter had a choir event at the school. Due to the time of the event we decided to eat before heading over to watch. Upon arriving, the gymnasium was packed. Not a seat in the house which forced Sarah, Ellie and I to stand against the wall.

Since the back was acting up this did not sound as bad as it was. Sitting in the bleachers for over an hour was not too inviting to me so the leaning up against the wall had its advantages. Now, the choir sang a number of top 40 songs and then dove into Mrs. Reynold’s favorite show tunes. This was about the time I started to fade. By the middle of the first show tune, I was again, sleep standing. My eyes were closed, my head went limp and I leaned back against the padded wall and felt as if I was in REM sleep.

The only thing that woke me was the clapping of the crowd after the song. But, as soon as the next song started I drifted back to slumber town. This happened 4 more times until the choir was done and it was time to go. We, well Sarah, chatted with a few neighbors as I stood there like a Zombie just waiting to get home.

The choir was not the thing that put me to sleep, I believe it was the hour massage I had on Monday. I have so many issues that Michelle spent the full hour grinding and grinding away at tight muscles and scar tissue. This hour of flushing years of beating my body up took its toll on me.

Slept until 6:30AM on Tuesday. Waking up I felt great. Got 8.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, had a good breakfast and was ready to face Wednesday.

I had three things planned for Wednesday outside of work. The first was weights. I headed to the gym at 11:45AM did my upper body circuit, stretched the hip flexors and did a 150 sit ups. Done.

Wednesday evening Sarah and I planned to ride Reality. The bike crowd was huge. There were more A riders and B riders than I had ever seen before. The nice weather had pulled everyone to these group rides. The ride was good. I can still tell that my legs are not back to normal nor is my fitness level from running Boston. I was running at threshold just pedaling through Cumming town center and I thought to myself that this is going to be a tough ride. It was tough but not unobtainable. I peeled off with a group of riders that I could hang with. The group I rode with made it back safely to the parking lot which is the sign of a good ride.

For one rider, Mike it was not so good. This leads to the third event. Susan L & Mike’s 20th wedding anniversary. A small group was invited to have pizza and beers with the celebratory couple after the rides. Mike had had an accident jockeying for position and went down. A few bumps, gashes and scraps but he will be able to ride again.

We all headed for the local pizza joint right next to Reality after the ride to celebrate. It was very low key which the happy couple wanted and with all of us caked with sweat and road grit, this pizza joint was perfect.

The time seemed to go by in a flash which is always a good sign that everyone enjoyed themselves. By 9:30PM Sarah and I and most of the party (we all get up way too early) were ready to head home.

Tuesday’s fatigue and soreness turned Wednesday into a great day and an awesome evening. This group of friends are all just a great group of people that both Sarah and I are fortunate to know.

One thing I did leave out and have to mention in passing. Thanks Ann Marie for not giving me too much grief on the ride. You are a true friend.

Thursday is here which means swim. As I laid in bed trying to sleep on Wednesday night, I said to myself that I was not going to swim in the morning. All the activity left me drained. Ironically, with the massage, the ride, weights and being out late, no sleep was allowed. I was awake all night tossing and turning. By 5AM, totally exhausted I thought I could stay in bed for another hour and try to sleep or get my behind up and grind through a swim workout.


I chose the latter.

Coach Mike’s Workout for Thursday:
150 WU
4 X 100M I.M.
Substitute a drill for fly
2 X 450M on the 9’s
Descending every 100M
Last 50M push it.
22 X 100M
1-2 & 3 on the 1:55’s
4 on the 2:10’s
200M Cool down


We were supposed to do in and outs in the zero entry pool as well but the time got away and it was 7AM while we finished the 100’s.

As I left the gym I saw Carmen coming in from her track workout. She was looking mean and lean as she approached. Carmen has started back to her training and just like all of us that first initial week is brutal. The body does not want to move and the mind can’t make it. In a week or so she will be moving faster and faster as she progresses towards her next event.

The last couple of days have been busy. It wears on the body just like a race tears the body down. Injuries keep plaguing my progression and soon decisions will need to be made on my next steps towards Chicago training. I have two weeks to decide, but in the meantime, I need to stay active and kept my mind off of it. I am not one to sit idle and feel sorry for myself. I attack the problem with tenacity and continue to stretch, ice, stretch and rest the area until it is 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment