Monday, November 9, 2009

Day Thirty Nine - "Off Season"

“He alone is great and happy who requires neither to command nor to obey in order to secure his being of some importance in this world”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe



Sent out an request on Sunday for some company on a track workout. I needed to switch some of the workouts around to accommodate being out of town for most of the upcoming week. I was shot down by all. Looks like I am doing it solo.

Monday morning buzzed in at 4:45AM. I wanted to get an early start so I could get into the office around 7AM to complete some unfinished business I could not get to over the busy weekend.

I turned off the alarm and lay in bed contemplating if I should blow off the workout or go and get it done. Since I will be traveling, workouts are less intensive or non-existent depending on the circumstances. After a few turns of time, I decided I would get up-and-out.

The body struggled with the mind as I overcame the resistant to stay in bed and the sheets came off and I was out. Though the decision was made, the mind was cloudy as if the sheets were covering my head inhibiting my vision and my body took advantage of this and stiffened up as I shuffled across the room to the closet.

The daily morning rituals were melancholy as I arrived at LTF. The parking lot’s capacity was higher this Monday than most, indicating that there must have been a lot of weekend binging going on. The result is heavier traffic at the gym in attempt to shed those guilty pounds.
Making my way from the locker room after I secured my bag I ran into Michele. Michele was meeting Ann Marie for a tempo run at 5:30AM and was not going to the track. Michele just came back yesterday from Panama City where Ironman Florida took place on Saturday. Michele was one of the runners I asked about running track today. She had emailed me yesterday and said she was standing in line to register for IMFL in 2010. As of this morning she is a registrant for the 2010 event. “363 days to go”, I told her. Plenty of time. She is going to do well in this sport.


I headed upstairs as we parted to run a “warm up mile” on the treadmill before trekking down to the AHS track. When I completed my warm up I started to head down to the track from the parking lot and ran into Ann Marie and Michele as they were heading out. I heard Ann Marie say, “hey speedy” as I replied with “morning” while I motored ahead of them. I must have still had a little fogginess on the brain because Ann Marie said, “boy aren’t you un-social”. “Can’t you run with us a little?” I slowed down and we ran a few yards until we hit the corner of Northpoint. The two runners veered right while I needed to head straight. I wanted to hang with them and run since I knew it would be a heck of a lot nicer than a solo track workout. However, I was on a mission as they disappeared into the dark, as we grew further apart from each other.


Arriving at the track the sky was blanketed in a thin layer of clouds covering the moon and stars shine. My visual sight was less than 100 meters ahead of me. Being familiar with this track, I headed for the 50 yard line to drop my bottle and remove my sweat shirt. I proceeded to take a scouting run around the oval to clear debris. Hoses were removed, chairs were placed on the field and a bench was realigned parallel with the track.

Ending the clean up run I took a sip of water and I was off. The first speed workout was a 1600M @ 5:57. Doing a little homework last night I broke the 1600M into 200 splits which is approximately: 45 seconds for each 200M. The first 200M, 0:42, too fast. At the 400M mark, I was at 1:26. Again, fast. I slowed the pace and hit the mark of 0:45 on the 5-200M’s with the home stretch at 0:44. Time was 0:05:56. Unlike Bob, I did not feel this was at a pedestrian pace, but more of a control pace with a little effort used. Bob is just getting too fast and will be a force to reckon with in the near future.

I ran a 400M EZ and prepped for the next run, 1200M @ 4:22. I knew what the splits had to be along with the total time since I learned a trick from Chris. I wrote the times and splits on my arm which helped me remember what the next set goal was to be. The first 200M was at 0:42, again a few seconds too fast. I eased back and ran controlled at 0:44 the next 4-200’s. The last 200M I needed to push a little harder but my mind started to wander listening to the sound of the traffic increasing on Webb Bridge and I veered off the lane coming around the south end of the track increasing my distance and ending the 1200M at 0:04:24.

I took another trip easy around the oval trying to get my head back into the game. I was staring at the black track as I jogged around the north side curve and noticed how the track looked as if it had a thin layer of ice on it. Was I hallucinating? Was my eyesight going? I stopped and bent down to touch the track. The feel was rough as asphalt with dampness to it. The shine was the result of condensation from the morning dew that had settled.

The next run was an 800M @ 2:51. First split was 0:43 as was the next 2-200’s. I had some in the tank but decided to go off of feel knowing I only had to make up 1 second to his the time. Rounding the back north end side of the curve I kicked it just a little bringing me over the line in 2:51.
One more to go, 400M @ 1:23. The 400M easy run was a little faster than the previous ones. I wanted to finish and get the solitary workout in the dark morning over with. I did not stop when I completed the 400M EZ run. Approaching the start I hit my watch and left. This one I knew I would be able to come in at the mark so I did not look at my watch on the splits. I went by feel and propelled my body around the oval at a controlled pace hitting the finish at 1:21.


Though I was companionless on the track, which had been the first time since last March, I was able to hold may paces and not worry about passing or being passed by my friends and companions out on this track.

My singular world this morning was in my complete control and I am pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment