Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Fast Women and The Old Dude"

When you think of fast women this is the type of image most men and yes, women think of:


However, after the last two weekends my interpretation of the phase, “Fast Women” has taken on a completely different meaning.

The weekend before the Fourth of July, I witnessed 9 females that I know participate in the Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon up at Lake Lanier. I watched in amazement as Sarah, Carmen, Ann Marie, Stacy, Raquel, Jennifer, Susan, Josephina and Amy tore up the tri course bettering their times from the last time they attacked this course and for some even a podium spot. All 9 made qualified for the National Championship for Sprint Triathlons as well.

Now, I say, “amazement” not that I doubt their abilities, but how far a number of these women- athletes have come. Each one of them continues to become more efficient, stronger and of course faster in all 3 disciplines. The development of these 30 & 40 something athletes in swimming, biking and running is nothing more than amazing.

As we stand watching the runners come in during the final stages Carmen (I have to say Carmen took an overall win position at Iron Girl…) she asked me, “why don’t you do triathlons anymore?” My answer was easy and honest, “Because of you, my wife, Sarah, Ann Marie, Stacy and down the line, everyone is getting stronger and each one of you can blow the doors off this aging athlete”.

I told Carmen, “I stick to running. At least I know I have you there.” Well, for now.

Jump forward one week. After a week of vacationing with my family of 15 in Ocean Isle and a 7.5 hour car ride home on Saturday, I got up at 4:45AM to run the Peachtree Road Race on the Fourth of July. I usually do not run this race because we are out of town, but this year with us being home, I snagged a number from Chris (thanks again buddy) and decided to run it.

Now, for the now. I was running the 10K or 6.2 mile run with Ann Marie and 60,000 other runners.

Ann Marie since February has been under the guidance and control of her triathlon coach, Ken. Ken for your information has deemed her “The SD”.

The both of us had decided to run the 10K together to see if Ann Marie could break her PR of 44:37 set in 2008.

We set out along with Amy, Scott, Ken and our loyal supporter, Susan on Sunday morning from the Old Milton Waffle House down to Buckhead and the start of the Peachtree 10K.

Doubts continued to fill Ann Marie’s head as after a number of potty breaks for all and a warm up we nestled into Corral 1A for the start. We saw, Wren and Seth while we waited. I talked to Dave and a few other people I know as we hung out on the road to await the announcement of the start.

Ann Marie, was nervous about even hitting a 44:00 on this course. But her training and the conditions that day made it ideal for her to shatter that 44:37 set two years ago.
We sat and waited and waited with Seth and Amy before the start. After the “Star Spangle Banner” it was time. Ann Marie said she is staying “left” on the road and will not deviate from this set course. Since this was a training tempo run for me I was happy to just have someone to run with and who better than “The SD” and a friend.


When the gun went off and Corral 1A made its way across the mats to clock our chip time, Ann Marie took off like a rabbit out of a hole. She stayed true to her word and hugged the left side of the road making sharp but efficient darts in between the slower runners. For the first mile, I shadowed her moves with Seth on my heels. After the first mile the runners started to thin out and there was more room for me to lock onto Ann Marie’s right shoulder. I decided to hang her and let her set her own pace.

By mile 2, Seth had peeled off (he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro just two weeks ago) I had settled in to a rhythm and was comfortably running a 6:20 pace less than ½ of a step behind Ann Marie. We continued downhill picking up speed and by the mile 3 marker I looked at my watch and the split time was 18:57.

I knew the next 2 miles were going to eat up the split time due to the hills. We grabbed water, drank and soaked ourselves to cool down as the hills grew in front of us. The next mile came and the runners thinned out more. I moved along side of Ann Marie so she could she me and pace herself against my stride and cadence as we journeyed upwards. Mile 4 was complete with a little reprieve of a down grade in the road. We swung over to douse and drink in preparation for the next series of hills. This is where I saw Ann Marie let up just a little as the pace declined. She looked fine, but her form was a little off indicating some fatigue. I moved in front of her and allowed her to focus on me and help pull her through the gravity induced inclines that came.
The further we progressed the pace fell off. (Keep in mind, that when I say the pace declined I am talking seconds not minutes.) As we hit the mile 5 mark a water station waited. I moved to the left in front of her and picked up 2 water cups as I saw her grabbing cups as well. (We were running through most of the stations at a sub 7 pace) I drank then dumped on my head with one and dumped then drank with the other. For good measure, I took one more and splashed it on me as I saw my running partner taper off just a hair more.


I moved to the right and saw Ann Marie drop back again. I slowed but did not want to slow too much and loose the momentum that I had built up. As we passed the mile 5 marker and water, I kept looking back spotting her and hoping that she would catch up. My pace was constant and with a little kick, she would be there. Her paced did not waiver and the gap stayed consistent. Again, remember we are cooking at a 6:50 pace at mile 5.

I decided to make a move and increase my cadence and speed over the last little incline before hitting the downhill portion. I gradually progressed forward as Ann Marie kept her pace and followed behind at a good pace.

Passing 12th street, I took a glance back and saw my friend cruising along as I kicked it up the last small incline heading towards 10th street. This is where the guilt started to overwhelm me. I felt like I had abandoned her on the side of the road to fend for herself. What would she think of me? Leaving her behind? Then I thought, “I know exactly what she would think!” If I had not tested myself and gave a good effort to the finish, she would think I had left too much on the road that day. Ann Marie is a competitor. She is a good friend as well and I think that is why we get along so well. She knows that I am a competitor as well and if for any reason if I thought she was in trouble I would have stopped. But, the fire in her eyes said something else and if I had “eased” up I think she would have been disappointed in my effort.

Besides, I know with me trudging ahead sparked the competitive juices in her and she stepped it up even if I could not bear witness to it.

Rounding 10th Street I increased the pace maybe a few 100 meters too soon. The fatigue hit me at that point and to add to the fatigue my right shoe lace came completely undone with a half mile to go. I heard a spectator calling my name as I glanced to my left and saw Susan taking a sanp shot as I went by.

I changed up my stride and hit on the tips of my toes to keep the shoe from flying off. I found an area on the road with no runners so no one could step on my laces. I kept my head down so I would not trip myself as I gradually increased my speed. I saw the finish ahead and looked at my watch. 41:53. With the shoe lace undone, I knew the sub 42 was not going to happen.

I crossed the line at 42:03.

I waited around (being yelled at to “keep moving”) and told a volunteer I felt sick as I wobbled a few steps. I told this fib because I wanted to wait for my running partner, Ann Marie to cross. 31 seconds later here she came, darting across the line.

Ann Marie got her personal best at the Peachtree that day by almost a full 2 minutes. 42:34 was the official time. A time I know, she is proud of and a time, I am proud of for being a part of.

The pace for me was 49 seconds faster per mile than was scheduled. I felt good, so I kept going, not at 100% effort for after all, it was just a “training run”.


Fast women and the old dude does sound appropriate for this entry. At least for now, I know I don’t need a fast car to beat them on foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment