Friday, July 9, 2010

Getting on the Track

I recently read an article on efficiency. Not for business, but for pleasure. The reason for the interest is that I have picked up a few runs with a running group and the see how a “true” runner runs. They are aerodynamic, fluid and efficient in their stride and paces. I have also run with my friends over the last month as well. The traits I see in the running group versus my friends are not egalitarian. My friends compared to the others are equal in athletic abilities and desires, but the “way they run” are not.

The example I am about to discuss is one that you need to open your mind to and think about what is being said instead of the object being discussed.

"Today, we can move a ton of freight an average of 410 miles on just one gallon of diesel fuel."

The article brings into light a number of different variables into the situation for a modern locomotive to haul a 1 ton load with only 1 gallon of diesel fuel: Aerodynamics, friction, perpetual motion, maintenance…

An average modern diesel freight train weighs 180 tons. It takes 180 gallons of diesel fuel to just to move itself 410 miles. Add cars and supplies being transported the weight has increased to 25,000 tons or even more, but it still only uses 1 gallon of diesel??? In 1996, the heaviest transport by train was 79,900 tons, but each of the 10 locomotives attached averaged still 1 gallon of diesel per 400 miles.

Now, how can a massive piece of machinery average 1 gallon per 410 miles when a Tractor Trailer truck can only aver 7 to 8 miles per gallon? Aerodynamics, friction, perpetual motion, maintenance play a key role in the transportation by rail.

Trains are designed to be aerodynamic to slice the wind resistance and be streamline. The locomotive slices the wind causing a draft behind for the pull cars which decreases total drag. Trains from point A to point B are using perpetual motion. Starting and stopping uses the most energy, but once they are at a constant, the efficiency increases and is less strain on the components to move the mass forward. Friction comes from the rails and parts, but is constant also and varies slightly. Maintenance of the locomotive is important was well in order to maintain the high efficiency rate of diesel use, the train must be working effortlessly by constant upkeep and repair.

We all see trucks on the road of even cars. None of the principals of efficiencies applies due to a number of factors. You drive, you know. Some of us are guilty as well of the "lead foot" which decreases our fuel economy to get from Point A to Point B.

So what does all this mean? Why the education in physics and motion? Read the first paragraph again and tie it all in.

I run with a runner in the running group name, Chris. He is 6’5” over 200+ lbs. He ran a 2:54:00 at the last ING ATL Marathon. He has only been running for 4 years and is 43. I am 149 pounds, 5' 10" and have been running for 30 years and ran a 3:11:00? Natural born runner? Maybe, but I do notice his stride, his pace, his form. All efficient, nothing varies. If Chris has all these principals of aerodynamics, friction, perpetual motion, maintenance down when he runs, does it not make sense that he uses less energy and can travel further and faster than another runner who may only have 3 out of 4 principals going on?

The biggest thing I see in my friends when they run is that they want to run to beat a time. They have 400 meter intervals in 0:01:28 they need to run and they push it to run them in 0:01:23 as an example. Alternatively, when they are running around the track instead of maintaining the constant velocity pace they increase it when another runner is on their heels. The increases in pace uses energy, more energy exerted fatigue kicks in, the more fatigue, form (aerodynamics) suffers, etc. Yeah, you “blow” away for set times, but for what? Injury? Soreness the next day? Not being able to hit the “training” paces on the next run?

I see the same in long runs or even races. Be fast, shave the time and finish before “that person” is all that clouds the mind. During training runs, If a pick up happens (even when the "pick-up’er” is on another pace schedule) the runner who is training at a certain pace will pick it up as well. Why? Do they not want to be last? Do they think they other runners will think they are weak? What drives us to compete even in training when training by definition is:

"the education, instruction, or discipline of a person or thing that is being trained: He's in training for the Olympics."

Do you see the words, race the other person or beat the other person in a race in this definition? I see education, instruction, discipline. All wording that is a part of every one of our training plans. But, do we apply them???


So why do we do this? I am as guilty as any one of my friends for doing this foolish act as well. A training run is a training run, not a race. But with age and experience, I believe I am becoming a better "runner" instead being good at running.

I believe we as humans are capable of more speed and endurance that our grey matter can comprehend.

Just think, if each of us took into consideration: aerodynamics, friction, perpetual motion, maintenance and remained constant with these four principals would we be faster, stronger and more efficient on the run? On the bike? In the water?

I believe it is human nature to be part of a group. No one likes to be alone, but in order for you to be you and for you to tap into your potential, you need to get to know yourself to find out if you are “runner” or one who runs.

Here is an email conversation I had with a running friend of mine. The potential is there, but the use of principals is lacking in all four.

To set it up. Runner B had a 17 mile "training" run at an 8:20 pace.

Runner A: Uh, you went a lot faster. Your pace was 8:12 for 17. Time to step up to 3:15:00 Marathon or even the 3:10:00 my friend.
Runner B:
You are out of your mind.
Runner A:
What, that you had an 8:12 pace or stepping up on the marathon time?
Runner B:
Marathon time. I'm still trying to wrap my head around a sub 3:20
Runner A: Piece of cake, Mr. 8:12’s on the 17 miler.
Runner B: Race pace is 7:37. What is it for 3:15 (Can you see that Runner B is interested in a faster time?)
Runner A: 7:26.
Runner B:
Hmmmm. I know I could do it for 15 miles. The last 11 would be tough!
Runner A: Not if you are consistent in your pacing. I would stay consistent for ½ mile every so often and you would continue to drudge forward faster and faster while I stayed at an even pace. Fast then slow, fast then slow, eats up a lot of your energy. Just like a car. Step on the pedal, ease off, etc…eats up gas, thus less efficient.


You have the mentality and athlete ability to break 3:15, just not the structure. Training is not a race. It is training. You train your body for the distance, not to get from one point to the next “faster” than you are supposed to do. Just like what you do on the track.
I am not beating you up, I just believe you have a lot more potential and if done right you could break 3:15 no problem.


My personal opinion is that I suggest you run some of the long runs solo. The reason being is that you are running against the runners you train with. I use the word “against” because that is what goes on.

Run to become your own better runner and not to run to beat someone or the time. Find your mojo, find your groove and not worry about anyone else. It is not as fun to run solo, but I believe it is necessary in order for you to find out what kind of runner you are. I found this out with all my solo runs and I was able hit my times and not have to take a nap after wards.
You can do whatever you set your mind too and I am here to help.


The 10 miles this morning though it was a good run was filled with paces that were up and down. It zapped energy because of where Runner B wanted to be in the pack and was too fixed on being faster than the training time and not feeling the pace for the training run.

Every motion for another runner to lead would result in increases in pace and Runner B in the front. Aerodynamics was not used to settle in to the draft to conserve energy behind other runners. Friction was increased because of fatigue and foot strikes longer on the pavement. Perpetual motion was void from the increases and sudden decreases in pace and maintenance was okay, but for 2+ hours out on the roads more fuel and fluids should have been taken in to continue a constant velocity in pace.

This entry is by no means bashing on my friend or any of my friends. Like Runner B, they are all excellent athletes and each one pushes me to strive for greatness every time I am around them. I just want to open minds to the potential of what is achievable. You say, "I can't" and guess what?

I witness Runner B’s untapped potential when I run with him and if he became his “own runner” instead of the lead runner in a training run (aka race run), his potential to succeed is unlimited.


No comments:

Post a Comment