Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Hermit

“Solitude is painful when one is young, but delightful when one is more mature.”
Albert Einstein


Einstein does have a point and he also solidified that I am not mature yet. Thanks Albert.


My wife and two daughters left for Boston on Saturday evening. Since then they have traveled to New Hampshire, dropped Grace and her cousin, Jen off at a weeklong camp. Then Sarah, Ellie and 5 other relatives cruised across the “Live Free or Die” state to “Story Land”. They have been swimming, hitting the amusement park, eating and just having fun.


Me on the other hand, life has not changed. I get up, workout, go to work, come home, make dinner, get ready for the next day, repeat. Actually, there has been a slight change in my schedule. I am traveling home at lunch to let the dog out and with no one being in the house to deter me from my regiment, I am done and ready for bed by 8PM.

I have always enjoyed the comforts of solitude on occasion. With no one in the house I am able to get some “projects” done. Painting trim, working on bathrooms, fixing odds and ends. These things do get accomplished with my family in the house, it just takes longer. After a day of work you usually want to hang with the family and have dinner and talk about the day.

Alone, this time is decreased 5 fold with no conversation and dinner has become a vehicle for just refueling your body.

I had some social interaction this morning in the pool. When I reach the home front for the next 11 hours the only one, I see and talk to has been the dog and she is not too receptive.

Coach Mike has had us knocking out 100’s this morning.

150M EZ
200M Side Kick
10 X 25 Power Kicks underwater
4 X 50M reducing stroke every 50
3 X 100M’s on the 1:50
3 X’s 4 X 100M’s
3 on the 1:50’s
1 on the 2:10
200M for time
10 X 25 Up and Out’s
100M EZ


I think I am missing a set in this workout, but it is close.

I swam with Melissa and Jerry this morning. Both of these strong swimmers keep my honest in the lane. When I lose concentration I am getting a slap on the feet from Jerry. Having Jerry in the lane has helped him as well. He stated he has not hit these times on the 100’s or even the 200 ever. He is getting faster.

Next week, Michelle is taking over the swim workouts while Mike is on vacation. I told Mike that I would be transferring to Johns Creek for the week. He got the roundabout compliment and made it known to me that he got it. Just keep the workouts interesting Mike by mixing up short interval and long stuff and we will all be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment