Tuesday, June 8, 2010

13 Days

Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
Marcus Aurelius


Over the last 50 days this type of thought process eluded me. When and injury plagues you constantly doubts creep in to mind and overtake your sense of logic.

The feeling of not being able to perform at the level you just were at haunts you. I can understand how age can affect you because that is a given that all of us have to come to grips with. The older you get, the more changes you need to make in order to sustain what you enjoy to do.

With an injury it is just, unfair. You do everything by the book to prevent such a catastrophe from happening, but it still happens.

I will be honest, I have my doubts on where I am heading. I have adjusted my training to give myself two additional weeks of recovery. I am stretching, icing, wearing “the boot” at night, massages and while I type away, I am rolling a golf ball along the bottom of my foot to loosen up the tightness.


Though the cloud of doubt is over me, I am starting to see a ray of sunshine attempting to slice the cover. The Achilles’, though stiff are not in chronic 24-7 mind numbing pain this week, like they have been a constant 45 days.

With a continual diligence on my part and another massage next week, I may just be a ready to take this training session on.

Swim this morning:
150 Warm up
100 side kick
100 single arm
100 fist
50 Smooth
5 X 100M on the 2:05 (too EZ, but the group I swam with was on this mark)
4 X 100M on the 2's. (same too EZ)
100M at a sub 1:45.


My lunchtime routine has adapted into more flex and polymeric strength training. I am focusing on strength exercises that deal with standing up and core, just like when you run. Sitting or laying down are not part of running so all leg and upper body routines will be done on the feet. I am banking that this will continually increase my core and stability for the long haul during training. In addition, I need to find the time to fit in at least 3 of these sessions a week on top of riding with Sarah.

I will be stronger for it or die trying…

1 comment:

  1. Love to know more about the pylometrics and standing core exercise...!

    ReplyDelete