Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 10 -"The Test"

With starting the Chicago Training in just 10 days I needed to test the body. I have started a mini plan to get some mileage in (not speed, not yet) to see how the Achilles' can handle the increase in running.

So far this week I have logged 20.5 miles of running. The Achilles' though not back to their normal state are not in the tremendous pain they were in over the last month. I have not "hit" running hard, but have been easing into it with a few pick up here and there just to see...

This morning I had 8 miles pegged. I wanted to run a mixture of uphills, downhills, rollers and flats. I picked the LTF to Webb Bridge Park route. This would show me where I am as a runner and to see if the FURMAN program is going to work for me this go around.

After the run, I am still not sure what direction to head in.

The run took me out behind the gym which was downhill. I like warming up on downhills so not to increase the heart rate through the roof in the first 10 minutes. I crossed North Point and headed down the hill on Webb Bridge. By the time I passed the school the road was blocked & closed for construction. I decided to venture in and see if I could navigate the road if it was tore up. By the time I hit the construction sight it was very manageable to get around as I headed up Webb Bridge.

The next 2 miles are uphill. Not steep, but not easy. I focused on form and stride to insure I was striking evenly on both sides as I ascended up Webb towards the park.

I noticed as I progressed forward that my breathing and heart rate felt labored. The legs started to bark hitting the hill in front of me. I adjusted my strided and shortened the steps to save energy, but the breathing continued as the valves were opened and the sweat poured off of me.

Arriving at the park I took my running shirt off (which I threw away after the run, the smell was not human) as I entered the park. I thought I would cool down a little and my breathing would regulate. After about 5 minutes and 3 miles into the run, the engine started to run smooth.

I ran the first loop of the park with little effort and rounded the second time in the same fashion. I stopped at the fountain to get a drink of water before heading back out of the park towards the gym.

On my way out I heard the Twins talking as the rounded a bend off a trail. Bob stopped and turned direction to run with me, but I politely told Bob that I did not them running with me as I picked it up and headed into the darkness.

I wanted to run alone for a reason. This was a long run for me and I advised them yesterday that I needed to iron out the issues. I have always enjoyed the company of other runners but this was an exception.

I exited the park and picked the pace up a little on the flats. The rest of the run in the opposite direction was fast and effortless as I descended down Webb Bridge.

Hitting the bottom before the biggest hill of the run, I took a deep breath, focused on my form and slowly eased my way up to the end of the run. The uphills are the killer on the Achilles' but as this point with only 1 mile to go the pain was minimal.

The whole 8.2 miles felt labored. I was breathing hard, sweating, legs felt sluggish and I felt like a jerk for rejecting my friends. I just happened to glance at my watch (When I left it was 5:13AM and I returned at 6:15AM) to see what time it was. Doing a quick calculation, I thought the pace was wrong. I felt as if I was at a snail's pace of 9's but it ended being 7:40's on average.

Too fast and I know that I have not only lost endurance fitness but I have lost the feeling of pacing.

Back to plotting and timing...

No comments:

Post a Comment