Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Test Thyself

“He who would leap far must first take a long run”
Danish Proverb

In all our lives, we are tested and when the test is not given to us, we go to out to test ourselves.

My life is no different from anyone else who inhabits this World. I breath, I eat, I laugh, cry, sleep and (you fill in the blank).

The slight difference I have noticed over the years is that when a challenge is not offered, I go out and seek one out. My thing is physical challenges. Ironman, marathons, Century rides, 10k’s, Half Marathon’s, 5K’s anything to get the heart pumping, push myself and see what I can do. Lately though, my challenging nature is subdued next to the circle of friends I encompass.

If it is from, qualifying for Ironman Kona, running a sub 3 marathon, biking 150 miles, achieving a Age Group podium win in a major triathlon, cracking a sub 18 minute 5k and even qualifying for the Half Iron Distance Nationals. These people I am proud to say, “that is my friend” or “that is my wife”. For every undertaking I attempt, I am outdone by one’s friend.

This only does one thing to me; it tests me and my abilities even further.

The test of one’s character or abilities is the greatest gift of oneself who is forged from the same mold as the people who surround me.

Tuesday night, after a long, challenging swim developed by Coach Mike which Chris and I pushed ourselves with:

150M Warm Up
150M Kick
100M Catch-up
100M Fist
100M Swim
5 X 200M on the 4’s
8 X 25M with RI of :10
100M Swim
8 X 25M with RI of :10
3 X 600M on the 11’s

then a full day of work and strength training Sarah, Grace, Ellie and I headed down to Emory University to watch one of our friends test his physical ability in a 200 meter track event.

The Atlanta Track Club was hosting an “open meet” for anyone who wanted to participate. Our friend, from no idea from me, decided to run the 200 meter event. He has run track many times but he has never “ran track” before. In his mid-40’s this was a first.

I was able to procure a set of track spikes from a Master’s track national ranked runner and gave them to him to us during the heat. I thought Asics Nimbus 11’s, though good for long runs would not cut it on the track.

Last night was a hot and humid night while 100’s of “used to be” track & field athletes gathered to rekindle the past glory days of the oval.

We witnessed the men’s 800 meters with a finishing time of 0:01:58, women’s 400 meters at times of :0:58:09 and the main event of the 200 meters which our friend was going to run.

During his time on the track, he befriended a number of sprinters to get tips and suggestions on how to tear it up on 200 meters of track. Sprinters helped him with his stance, his take off, navigating the curve, hitting the last stretch and most of all form and technique.

While I listened to all of this, my head started to spin. I was having a hard time keeping it all in and I was not even running. Our friend soaked it all in and practiced everything he had learned.

The nerves started to show as the time approached. He was sprinting and jumping all over the track as the other 200 meter competitors just stood around and did a few stretches.

The 200 meter men’s event was popular. They ran 5 heats with almost 8 in each. His heat was third as the first two winners of their heats ripped off a 28.9 and a 26.7 for the “Over 50” sprinters!

In the 3rd heat we heard his name being called to line up in Lane 7. The next thing we know the gun goes off and we see him hugging the first curve of the track in good position. A few seconds later he is crowning the oval and then heading for the end of the turn. He was in excellent position out of the curve as he pushed hard with the other 7 sprinters down the straight away to the finish. The group broke up on the final 60 meters as we cheered and screamed as he cruised by while the winner came in at 23.9 and Lane 7 finished in 25.9.

Not a place finish but for the first time against a heat of college track and field athletes, it was a great time.

Our friend had tested his abilities at an event that he had no experience in and came out a winner.

Testing oneself can push you further than your mind thought it was possible. And who, knows during that journey you may inspire another to challenge themselves.

Wednesday was earmarked for the tempo run that was scheduled. Getting out of bed and recapping last night I was ready to go to knock this workout out. I was scheduled to run: 2 miles EZ, 2 miles at Short Tempo and 2 miles EZ. The test for me on the run was not the endurance but what my injuries could sustain as I increased the pace by 1 1/2 minutes per mile. Ankles, Achilles and shoulder shouted back but in time they subsided and I cruised the run in.

I took the test and I would say I “Aced it”. What is your next test of thyself?

1 comment: