Monday, June 14, 2010

Countdown...7

7 days before the start of Chicago Training. I wish I could say that I am ready. But in honesty I am far from it.

This week will be spent on focusing on the run. EZ runs, a short tempo run, drills, more EZ runs and then end the week with a 11 miler. A lot of stretching and another killer massage during the week to get me prepared for the the start of FURMAN again.

The weekend was great. Now, we did not do a lot of "stuff", or go out of town, but just hung around the homestead.

Saturday started with a 41 mile ride with the group. Sarah, Stacey, Melissa, Raquel, Lou, Troy, Jay, Jeff and I had a good ride. Sarah was to hit 2 hours on her training program. We broke off into two groups while Jay (of course) lead out the first group. I stayed back and hung with the second group. Since I am not training for a triathlon this year riding for me has changed. I am enjoying the pure pleasure of just riding. Hitting it hard when I want and easing off when I want.

The ride ended around 9:30AM and Sarah and I headed home, but first we stopped at Starbucks for a celebratory cup of Joe.

The rest of the day was of course, chores. Lawn cutting, home cleaning and just straighting up the house. After 2 weeks of being out of town and having guest the house needed a good cleaning.

Later in the day I spent some time changing up Sarah's bike. Profile Aero bars and a new Profile Carbon Seat post to pull her closer to the bars. We adjusted the settings on the trainer and she was good to go.

Saturday night we broke up into two groups again. Ellie wanted to see Shrek so I decided to take her. Sarah and Grace did not want to see Shrek so they went to see "Letters to Julia".

We both headed in different directions down Rt 141. Ellie and I headed north to The Avenue, while Sarah and Grace went south to Regal Cinemas at Medlock.

We both got home about the same time, but Ellie and I took a detour. We headed over to VS to buy Sarah a set of new summer PJ's which she was in need of. Ellie and I picked out a nice matching pair and Ellie gave the PJ's to Sarah when we got home.

Sunday was a lazy day for some and a workout for others. I took the lazy day, while Sarah ran 5 miles in the morning and biked 1.5 hours on the trainer in the evening. Sarah had some good TV to watch during the trainer ride. The Ironman 70.3 Championships were on so she had a good viewing to take her mind off of the ride to nowhere.

During the middle of the day, Sarah, Ellie and I headed to the pool to do something that very rarely happens in our household, relax. Grace decided to stay back at home, while the three of us packed a lunch and snacks and headed to the pool. Ellie and I swam and played while Sarah read. We ended up staying at the pool for about three hours. Nice to just hang without having an agenda.

Dinner was Mexican and for dessert we had Lime and Pineapple Sherbet which ended the weekend on a high note.

Monday morning came hard. Sleep for me was erratic. I drifted in and out for 7 hours with not getting more than an hour at a time. This has become the norm lately and it continues to wear on the body and mind. I am thinking that once training starts and I am in a regular routine, the sleep with become more consistent.

I ran 3.2 miles this morning at a EZ pace. No stop watch, did not see when I left or when I finished. No music either. I just ran. I am trying to find my Zen of running I once had. Being able to run fluid and not be concerned with my surroundings. Needless to say, I am not there.

It was tough and hot. I know I have not been consistent in running over the last 2 months and with time and patients it will return.

But, in seven days, reality is going to happen and I need to prepare myself for the hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment