Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Taste of Fall

The air was cool and crisp. The runners gathered in the lobby to make the weekly trek to the Oval. Small talk was heard as the feet of the runners glided along the concrete to the destination.

The crisp air was accompanied by the ever longer night skies. Silhouettes moved in between the lights on the sidewalk around the back end of the track field. Darkness engulfed the track and the runners reaching the gates to the Oval.

We all gathered at the start to drop our bottles, remove shirts and take the scouting run around the track. The darkness was so dominate that I thought runners were following me around for the 400 meters to clear the track, but no one was there.

Arriving back from once I came, the area was abandon. No runners. They had started the workouts.

I set my watch and headed out on the first session of a 1K, 2K, 1K, 1K workout.

During the sets I passed runners and the shorter distance workout runners passed me. Nearing the end of the session, the sky turned from midnight blue to an amber horizon as the sun started its daily routine of buring off the night.

In the end, the runners headed back to go our seperate ways in the life of a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment