Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Week 3 - "Speed and Consistency"

“Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.”
John Rohn

Pace. I have a certain pace that needs to be achieved during the marathon. If I go out too fast at the halfway point my goal pace could be jeopardized on the back 13 miles by more than 4 minutes. If I go out too slow on the first half, I will be required to push the pace to make up the time leading to fatigue or injury. Pace. It is an elusive carrot that dangles in front of me that I continue to strive to master.

During the last 13 weeks I have been able to “stay on pace” for the full amount of the runs. This actually means I have achieved the total time needed to run the distance I needed to cover. There has been bouts of fast and slow paces but very few were consistent.

On Sunday, my main goal was to hang on to the pace. Focus on splits stay on track on remain constant. At the end of this 20 miler I felt I was disciplined enough to hold the average and hit the desired time.

Going into the last weeks I have changed my focus on will be cognitive of hitting the pace where needed and maintaining that pace. Not too fast or not too slow, but as Bob says, “right on”.

This morning was speed. The regular time and the regular group. There is consistency for you. I prefer the norm at this point. My regular friends running the regular track at the regular time. No surprises.

This morning everyone had a regular workout as well. It seems the distance on the menu was 800’s. The Twins had 800’s, Ann Marie had 800’s, Stacy & Shane had 800’s, Susan had 800’s and I had 800’s. Evan was there as well, but he ran mile repeats. I don’t even think he stopped to rest, but just kept going…
Heading down Webb Bridge the temperature started to drop. By the time, we were at the track the temperature must have been 5-10 degrees cooler than at LTF. There was a nip in the air as we scouted the track and started this morning’s program.

The Twin’s quickly connected their Wonder Twin powers and took off. I followed about 20 seconds behind them with Ann Marie tailing me soon after.

I can not speak for all during this workout on their times because they seem to be all over the place, but for me my goal was:

8 X 800M @ 0:02:52 with a R.I. 0:01:30.

The first 800M was 0:02:51 followed by:

#2 @ 0:02:52
#3 @ 0:02:52
#4 @ 0:02:53
#5 @ 0:02:52
At this point we switched direction. Going North to South on the track is a weakness of mine and it should in the times:
#6 @ 0:02:55
#7 @ 0:02:54
#8 @ 0:02:51

It takes me 2 reps to get acclimated to the change up. I was not concerned about the times since I knew I struggle on this direction but would be able to hone in towards the end.

Finishing up, I watched Ann Marie and her coach, Ken (he came a couple minutes after we started) complete the last 800M. It was good to hear Ken teach Ann Marie about pacing and what times they needed to hit on the 200M splits. The last 800M they had I think was a 0:03:02. I told Ken at this point that he needed to change up Ann Marie’s time and make them faster since she was been crushing the prescribed times on her workout sheets.

Not sure she liked to hear that, but consistently since February Ann Marie has been come in with faster times than what Ken has given her.

We left the track and headed back to the gym. One note on #5-800. I left a few seconds after the Twins started their 800M. I held my pace and in the final 100M turn I started to pace the Twin’s. As I moved ahead, both Bob & Jay kicked it up and beat me to the line. First thing Bob said was, “right on”. I turned to him and said, “right on what? “ “Pace”, he said. I estimated they hit a 0:02:59 or less on a 0:03:07 pace.

I enjoy the company and camaraderie of The Twin’s and Ann Marie on the track due to their natural speed. I let them go these days and stop chastising them for inconsistent pacing. They are all fast and can give me a run for my money. However, even with their natural talent for speed and the competitive edge they bring to the track that rubs off on my mere mortal body, I am grateful for have friends with such athletic prowess. Our goals are different at this point and I need to and will remain disciplined during these weeks to achieve the desired goal I have established for myself in the upcoming weeks.

Tomorrow I am going to commit a sin. Not a religious sin or a moral sin, but a sin against my program. This act is to allow me to spend time with my family and parents during the Easter Holiday. Let’s hope the gods are in my favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment