Monday, March 8, 2010

Week 7, Comes to an End

It is true that speed kills. In distance running, it kills anyone who does not have it.
Brooks Johnson


Saturday morning at 4AM. The alarm wakes me as I hoist myself out of the bed in anticipation of what awaits me at 8AM over 100 miles from my home.

A few months ago, I have signed up for a half marathon. With all of the solo running I have encountered during this training session I decided I needed a little camaraderie of other runners.

I was hesitant to sign up due to the distance of the event. The half marathon was taken place in Rome, Georgia on Saturday, March 6, 2010 at 8AM. Logistics were involved to ensure that I could get to the race, retrieve my packet and number then run the event and return home.
The motivation that pushed me to do this event was the crowds and other runners. I signed up and was eager to participate.

Getting up early day after day has not been that much of a challenge for me. Monday through Friday I am up and out the door before 5AM so, 4AM did not seem to be that much of an obstacle. I got dressed and quietly tip-toed down the crepuscular hallway to the edge of the stairs leading down.

The night before I made sure that no obstacles were in my path and by the time, I hit the landing my eyes had adjusted to the darkness making my way across the living room to the kitchen.

The smell of coffee was brewing as I entered the kitchen and flipped on the lights. The initial burst of illumination forced my eyes shut as my pupils adjusted.

As I squinted in order for the eyes to adjust to the shock, I made my way across the kitchen to start the pre-event meal of oatmeal and a PBJ. Eating at 4AM is not a thing that I enjoy. They say you burn a lot of calories while you slept depleting your fuel reserves. If this was true in my case, I think I would wake up starved. Usually food before an early morning workout is not part of my regiment. The mere thought of anything more than brewed Arabica beans with half-n-half is not appetizing at all.

I knew though that I needed to build up fuel for the Berry Half so I forced ½ cups of oatmeal, brown sugar, maple syrup and raisins down before heading out the door. I packed the PBJ for the 100-mile trip knowing that I would need more but right now, oatmeal was plenty.
The trip to Rome, Georgia was solemn. The roads were deserted as I cruised uninterrupted down 400, around 285 and headed North on 75. For most of the ride, the eyes were heavy as the neck snapped back into position a couple of as I fought the urge to close the lids and drift away into a peaceful sleep going 75 miles an hour up 75.

I rolled down the window to let in the morning crisp air. The voice on the radio had stated that the temperatures were around 25 degrees on this dark, but clear sky morning. The blast of cool air woke me as I focused on the digits lines on the road thinking of the 25-degree weather and my decision to wear shorts for the event and eating the PBJ I had brought along for the ride. Too late now, I was 65 miles from home and the decision was final.

At mile 80, I hit the exit that would bring me into Rome. I was still 20 miles from my destination with 2 hours of time until the start. The back roads were completely desolate as I headed through sleeping little towns.

Arriving at the entrance to Berry there was a stream of red lights single file heading down the road into campus. I had wanted to get there a bit early to snag a parking space on campus. If the lots were full they were going to push people off campus and bus them in. With having to pick up my package that morning, I wanted access to the car to dump off the paraphernalia and also catch a couple zzz’s while I waited for the start.

I followed the stream of red lights leading into the center of the campus and to a near-by parking lot about 2 tenths of a mile from the start.

I ran over to the Start line to pick up the number and goodie bag. Today’s run was to be a 15 miler so I thought I would run 1 mile prior to the race and 1 mile after the race to even the pace out for the full 15. I ran at an 8/minute mile or so towards the start and the sound of music playing. The sun was just starting to come up over the East side of campus exposing the main building on campus and the event tents.

Making my way to the registration tent I was about 15th in line. I heard from a fellow runner in line that there were as many half marathoners on this course as there were 10K & 5K runners combined. That tidbit of news pump the spirits up knowing that it would not be me and 20 other runners finishing this event as everyone had headed home after the other 2 events.

I grabbed my stuff at registration and made my way up and around the Start/Finish heading back to the car. The air was very cool as the sun came up sending a chill into my core and I needed to head back, turn the heat on and warm up for about 25 minutes before I had to head back.

After 25 minutes, I peeled down to the running garb and headed out. I rounded the event tents on a side road and headed towards the dining hall where the race director has stated was open to warm up. Making my way over there, I ran into two familiar faces, Chris & Stacy. Chris has participated in this race on and off since high school and stated this is one of his favorite events. We chatted for a few minutes and I asked them if they wanted to find the dining hall to warm up prior to the start.

As we entered the hall, it reminded me of a smaller version of Hogwarts dining hall in Harry Potter. Dark wood, arches, stain glass. The only thing missing was floating candles, but for a religious school, I doubt that would go over well.

The three of us hung out near the old fashion stream radiator against the window and chatted until it was time to head out to the Start.

When it was time, we left the comforts of the mini Hogwarts and walked down to the Start. The air was still chilly but the sun had started to warm the day.

As we made our way with the other group of runners waiting for the gun to go off, Stacy noticed pace signs on the sides heading down to the beginning of the event. There were signs decreasing every 15 minutes until I noticed 1:45 and 1:30. I told Stacy that I was going to head down there to see if there was a group of runners running these paces. I told her good luck as I departed.
When I hit the 1:30 sign, I asked the volunteer holding the sign if there was actually apace group. He informed me that the signs were for placement and there was not a group of pacers at this event.

I looked around and noticed in the 1:30 block most of the runners were 20 something kids decked out in college singlets. I decided to park myself here and wait for the start and see if there were any of the runners hitting the pace I wanted to maintain.

After the Anthem and a blessing from the dean of the college the gun went off. All of the runners took off in back of three bikes with orange flags. The pace was fast but I knew it would be as usual and it would take me a mile to settle in.

At the first mile marker I hit 6:21. This was way too fast and eased up by relaxing the arms, increasing the cadence and controlled my breathing. The course took us out of the main campus and headed into the woods on an asphalt road. The scenery was awesome with woods on one side and pastures on the other. The smell of cow dung was in the air. Not a nasty smell, but a smell that you knew that you were in the country and away from the busyness of the suburbs.
Mile 2 came at a 7:03 pace. Still fast but my breathing was regulated and my cadence was in line as I made my way down the road. The road after a short while brought us to a clearing of buildings after hitting Mile 3 at a 7:03 pace.

The buildings look like animal husbandry facilities as the road became narrow and turning into an asphalt path. For the next couple of miles the pace remained at 7:06’s as I felt comfortable in my heart rate, breathing and stride. I decided to maintain this pace since it was a training run and not a full out race to the finish.

As I ran along, I was passed by 4 teenage Cross Country runners. I could hear them behind me chatting it up about girls, home, school, going out tonight. Their voices were not labored but sounded like they were sitting around a table at Starbuck’s drinking coffee. As they passed I said good morning and all 4 responded with a cheerful, “morning”. At this time my instinct started to kick in and I wanted to hang on their heels for the next 8 miles, but I knew that was defeating my purpose, so I held pace as they moved up the path.

As they moved ahead the asphalt path turned to dirt and gravel. The path actually widened as we headed upward around a few bends and turns into a densely wooded area. From the map I knew we were heading to the first out and back turn around. This is where you would be able to see who was behind you and where you stood in the pecking order. We headed upward and the first few runners in the lead came cruising down the path that had turned from dirt and gravel to dirt and rocks.

I sized up whom as in front of me. 20 something, 20 something, 30 something, High Schoolers. No one 40+. I navigated up the path were the organizers had spray painted the protruding rocks with red so we would not trip.

Just then, a 20 something girl ahead of me looked up and tripped on a rock, but luckily she did not fall. She gathered herself as she continued up the hill to the turn.

I noticed this 20 something runner was going at a good pace and decided to stay a few meters behind her on the way down the from the turn. Heading down I was on the opposite side watching runners head up. About 3 tenths of a mile from the turn I noticed my first 40+ runner. He was cruising up the hill effortlessly and I knew at his pace he would overtake me in the next 3 miles. I kept my cool and decided not to increase speed but maintain my current training pace.

Near the bottom of the path I glanced up and saw a man in all black heading the up to the turnaround. My first thought was it was a military man in black fatigues and a bullet proof vest on. As the black decked out runner got closer I noticed it was Rich! Rich was running with a 30 pound vest on which is a training workout some of the marathon runners do to increase strength. Now, after seeing Rich and less than a half a mile back from me at mile 6.5, the competitive juices kicked in. There was no way I was going to have Rich with the vest on pass me.

I picked it up a few steps and nestled on the left shoulder of the 20 something runner in front of me. I talked to her for a few minutes about her tripping and how she felt. She was a little non-communicative which I can understand running at a 7 minute pace.

After mile 7 we headed around a gravel path that circled a pond. I held my pace and started to overtake the 20 something as she struggled to latch on to me. As I completed the loop around the pond, I saw the other 40+ runner coming down the hill towards the pond. This still gave me a quarter mile lead, but I needed to hold pace through the next 4 miles.

The course took us out of the farming and livestock area and back towards the main campus. At mile 8 I was still at a 7:05 pace and decided to let up a little as we took a sharp right onto another asphalt path. The path that was in front on me was straight and almost flat. You could see the path as far as the eye could take you. I saw 3 runners ahead of me, but again decided to hold my pace and maintain.

About a mile down the path I started to hear footsteps. I decided not to look but hold course. I figured if it was the other 40+ runner I had enough gas in the tank to lock in on him and hold to the finish. I held pace and look forward as the steps became louder and the breathing of the runner was heard. At that point, the breathing sounded female as a 22 year old girl passed me. I told her see looked strong as she made her way past me.

After she passed I noticed her stride became forced while she slowed a little. I kept my course and speed as she slowly increased the distance between us but not at the speed she had passed me.

At this time, the two of us had come up on the first of three runners I saw. The runner was in his 30’s and I noticed him from passing me around mile 1.5. He looked spent and I gave him a word of encouragement and plugged ahead.

The 22 year old moved a few more clicks ahead as we hit the 10 mile water station. The second runner had stopped to get a drink as I grabbed a Powerade cup and kept going. I never saw that runner again.

The third runner I came up on at mile 11 was a 20 year old. He was struggling but after I passed him he tried to hold on to my left shoulder. I told him to hold on and I would help him in, but after a quarter mile he said, I can’t keep it up and dropped off.

By this time the course only had 2 miles to go. I took in some Powerade and decided to move the pace up slightly. We rounded a bend where you could see behind you without turning around and I saw, no one! Okay, I thought, hold this till the end.

The next mile spectators started to gather on the sides of the path and cheered for the runners. I held pace and started to make ground on another runner while I could see the 22 year old as she was about 30 seconds ahead of me. At mile 12, I over took the runner and pushed it to a sub 7 pace. I was not laboring hard, but the breathing increased, legs barked a little and heart rate elevated as I could hear the sound of the announcer and music off in the distance.

At mile 13 I veered left and could see the finish as I kicked it up and cruised in.

I gathered my medal, grabbed a drink of water and started to run on the back road on the side of the race course back to the car. I still had 1 mile in my 15 miles to do. I headed to the car and completed the 15 mile training run for the day. (The 22 year old finished only 27 seconds ahead of me)

The event was spectacular. Great support, awesome volunteers and many runners, which I enjoyed the most. I met a few excellent runners while I grabbed some food. We chatted about the course and I have to say not one runner said a bad word about this event. That is the signs of a good race.

In the end, I accomplished my training run, ran with other runners, got a medal, some glass and a little monetary compensation for the run.

It was a good day.

Sunday, I took the day off as we headed to church and breakfast. I worked on the home projects while the Sarah and the girls went out. For dinner I made a dinner from my grandmother. Grace loves steak and bacon so I made “Pigs in the Blanket”. This is not pancakes and sausage. It is round steak rolled around a piece of thick bacon. It is fried then simmered in water to build a gravy base for about an hour. While that simmered, I made a homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. It was a good night and an excellent dinner. The smells of the food cooking reminded me of my grandmother’s home and her cooking.

Monday morning was tough. I had a 10 mile run scheduled. The legs felt a little stiff and I had decided to run the treadmill to get this one done. Since I hit the 15 miler a little hard on pace, I decided to run the 10-miler at MP + 30 seconds which was the scheduled 15 mile pace.
I hit the gym and finished the run with some difficulty at a 7:43 pace which is right on track.
Heading back at lunch to stretch only. Need to get the stiffness out.

Week 7 has come to an end. Speed does kill and all I know is my legs are killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment