Friday, February 12, 2010

Week 10 -"Running and Coaching???"

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."
Vince Lombardi



With a few calls made and many complaints from the Master’s Swim Group action has been taken. The lap pool has been drained; the staff is in the process of cleaning the walls and bottom along with fixing a few tiles that are loose.

The pool should be (I use this loosely) ready to go this afternoon. The pool this morning looked, okay. Not crystal clear, but a lot better than the inept job that has been performed up to this point. I have been assured by the Operations Manager, Cathy at LTF that accountability has been put into place and there will be one person responsible for control going forward.

Interesting enough, I was told from a reliable source that the Aquatic’s Director is upset with me for complaining about his inabilities for performing his job correctly. Again, an example of how people do not take responsibility for their actions. Is it wrong to be a paying customer and complain about inferior service you are receiving? I guess in the Aquatic Director’s diminutive mind, “it’s not his fault for not doing his job; it is mine for complaining about his inadequacies”.

I have set up a time to meet with Carmen in the morning to critique her stride and form. Bob is going to join me at 5:25AM and we are going to run our runs first and by the time Carmen shows we will be half way through. This will be a good indicator for me on her stride. Looking at her form half way into her run will allow me to see how she is “really” running when fatigue has set in. Just like in the pool, anyone can maintain form for 100 meters, but look at their form when they are deep into a set to see their true nature.

Last night was a treat and out of the norm. Dinner and a movie. The girls have the next couple of days off from school so Grace and Sarah rented a movie. We made taco’s (sorry Bob), prepped the “fixin’s” and set up the movie down in the basement. The movie that Grace and Sarah rented was, “Julie & Julia”. Now I know the thoughts going through your head, “isn’t that a chick flick?” “I thought this guy was a man, what is he doing watching this kind of movie?” Well, it wasn’t and I am a man. The base of the movie was not a romance or gushy, smoochie, tearjerker.

The show was based on a subject I enjoy, cooking. The movie told the story of modern day Julie and her attempts to cook every recipe in Julia Child’s cookbook, “The French Cookbook” in a 365-day period. The movie also tells the story of Julia’s rise to becoming one of the most famous cook’s to-date. If you enjoy cooking, I recommend the movie.

Friday morning arrived at 4:40AM. On the schedule today was an 8-mile tempo run. I was to meet Bob at 5:25AM on the treadmills upstairs at LTF. The weather was conducive for an outdoor run, but with me meeting Carmen at 6:00AM and Bob wanting to hold a steady pace, the treadmills were on tap.

At 5:25AM on the dot, Bob and I cranked up the rollers to start our 8 mile journey. Bob had a 8-mile long run with a pace of 7:33’s. I had a tempo run for 8-miles with 1 mile @ 8:00, 6 miles @ 7:00, 1 mile @ 8:00. Bob, ramped up at 7:33 right out of the gate, while I tuned up with the 1 mile EZ.

Bob plugged into his iPod while I attempted to get my iPod going. The battery had drained completely for some reason since I had it charging all night. This left me listening to LTF’s pumped in “night club” music. I could not let this setback get into my head, so I decided to focus on two run techniques: Stride by listening to my foot strikes and keeping my head up looking off into the distance. By listening to my foot strike, I was able to make sure that my foot placement and stride were consistent. With keeping, my head up looking off in the distance just keep me focused on the goal and not what is directly in front of me.

At 6:00AM Carmen showed up and jumped on the treadmill next to mine. Carmen had asked me to take a look at her running form. I was glad to help a fellow athlete become better at what they enjoy to do.

When Carmen jumped on, I told her that I was going to let her warm up and about halfway through her run I would start to analyze her stride. This way I will be able to see her form while she had a little fatigue to get a true picture of her stride.

After I completed my run, I jumped off the treadmill and started to check Carmen’s form. I gave her some pointers on foot placement, upper body form and how she holds her hands.
After Carmen’s run of 50 minutes, I showed her a few strength exercises to help her in areas where she needs to build strength to her forward motion.


I enjoyed spending the time with her and showing her some pointers. I might have found a new calling, but I will need to get some feedback from my critic, Carmen.

I am going to meet with Carmen in about two weeks to see her progress. Therefore, Carmen (I know you are reading) take the pointers I gave you and from Vince and practice to be perfect.
Friday afternoon at lunch will be spent at the gym once again. Today is “leg day”. 8 exercises for the legs and 4 for the core with tomorrow being my rest day.


Friday night, will be a repeat of Thursday night. Homemade pizza’s, beer and a movie in our basement family room which I always look forward too.

With the way how life is so complicated and fast pace, “chillin’” with the family and enjoying the simple things in life will be welcomed.

1 comment:

  1. They don't call you "Coach" for nothing...and kindred souls on the pool stuff - what is with people? Have a job, do it; if not, expect the repurcussions.

    Have a great day, bro!

    ReplyDelete