Monday, February 15, 2010

Week 9 -"Back to Reality"

"Travel broadens the mind, and raises the spirits"


The weekend was not used to physically travel to another location, but to use our imaginations and journey to places in our own home and surrounding environment.

Saturday morning we spent the time in the Rockie Mountains making a Snowman, sleding and throwing snowballs. The winter wonderland was a great change from the gray landscapes of Georgia during the winter months.

That night we jetted off to the Orient. we visited a local village outside of Jiangsu where we made fresh spring rolls and a chicken, squash and cashew stir fry. The meal was topped of with excellent Saki and Kirin Ichiban Beers.

While we were in the Orient, Grace spent the day at a medieval castle witnessing Knights battling it out for the hand of the princess.

Sunday we were back in Georgia for a brief time while we went to church services. After church Sarah and I jetted off to the Northeast to get our long runs in for the week. I headed off down the snowy trail for my 13 mile run, while Sarah stayed closer to civilization and run the snow banked roads. During my adventures on the trial, I was surprised to see Hokan cruising the trail and back roads on his mountain bike. The snow, ice, mud and water on the trail made for a challenging ride and run. As I ended my run, I saw two friends, Susan and Randy. They were on their way out for a run. We said our, hello's and good-byes as they headed North while I finished up heading South.

After our runs we were off to France. Arriving in France I spent the next 6 hours spending time at the Le Cordon Blue cooking school, preparing a French dinner for my Valentine's, Sarah, Grace and Ellie. First I prepared a Le Marquis with a butter frosting for dessert. Then I started the process of making, Bouef A' La Bourguignonne. The dish takes 4+ hours to prepare and cook. I slaved in the kitchen chopping, saute'ing, boiling, browing and cooking the dish for our V-Day dinner.

The dinner was set under candle light with a fresh french baguette and was accompanied with a fine Co'tes Du Rhone.

After the feast we sat around, ate the Le Marquis and "chocolats".

Today, we are back in the realm of our home as Sarah is off to Master's Swim at Dynamo. Monday is a day of rest for the girls and I as we celebrate the day of our Presidents.

Your imagination can take your further sometimes than any plane, train or automoble can go. It is still fun to pretend in a world that takes life too serious now and then.

1 comment: