Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Week 8 - "Cross Training"

It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.
Nelson Mandela


In a sport of triathlon or even running, the event is geared towards the individual. Early in my endeavors in crossing the Finish Line the only thought that drove me was the pursuit of me and only me finishing. This is where I struggled. I have always been on team sports going up with most of my athletic events being in soccer. With every team sport, it is not about the individual but about the collective that builds and sustains success.

Over the last year, I have made a conscious effort to revert back to this style of thinking. I am not going to be out on the soccer field or on the basketball court anytime soon, but have figured out that if you lead and teach as you go your own life is fulfilled.

I started this train of thought last spring during Half Ironman Training. On the long training rides, it was not about me finishing first or blowing everyone away on the bike. It was about insuring that each rider got the most out of their ride that day. The stronger riders would forge ahead and they were not the ones that needed the guidance, support and encouragement. By hanging with the “pack” or the ones that were not on their game that day and helping them achieve the goal that they set for the day gave me the sense of purpose in this very narrow-minded and focus sport.

Tuesday is Master’s Swim day at LTF. Tuesday’s for the last month have been crowded with swimmers with 5-7 in a lane which has been a normal Tuesday. Our lane was no exception with Chris, Evan, Melissa, Jeff, Brian and I.

Coach Mike’s Workout:
400M –EZ
200M – Single Arm- With Fins. (Not for me, could not get my swollen toe in the fin)
200M – Side Kick-With Fins. (Not for me, could not get my swollen toe in the fin)
100M – Board Kick – No fins
4 X 100M: 1:50’s
4 X 100M: 1:45’s
4 X 100M: 1:35’s (I think and should only have been 2 X 100’s)
1 X 500M: 1:40’s to 1:45’s per 100M
1 X 500M: 1:35’s to 1:40’s per 100M
1 X 500M: 1:30’s to 1:35’s per 100M

200M @ 3:05

200M - Form
50M - Side Kick
50M - Single Arm
150M – Form


After the warm up, Chris took the lead on the 100M’s sets…

Before, I get into this workout let me explain the set up on this workout. Many of the swimmers during Master’s “go all out” and end up fizzling out half way through the total workout. The workout Coach Mike designed (we need more like this Mike) is to help the swimmer establish and control pacing. After reviewing the workout I knew this is the type of swim I could help the “speed demons” settle into a pace and maintain.


Chris was a little too eager to get going and lead on the 100-meter sets. We hit the first, second and third 100’s too fast. I knew we were not going to be able to maintain paces if Chris continued to push it.

As we started on the last 100M set at 1:35’s the pace for the first two swimmers became a challenge. There was not rest in between sets and we had to push to keep up the time. We ended up doing 2 more 100’s because of rushing the workout.

When the 500’s came, I decided to take the lead on this “meat set”. I asked Melissa to lead the first 500M at 1:45’s (I thought it was 1:50’s, sorry Melissa) because I knew she was capable of maintaining this pace for this distance. Melissa also needs a little boost of confidence once in a while for this great athlete. She is a strong swimmer, but she does not know it all of the time. By leading the first 500M I knew she would lock in to a set pace and lead the group out. I nestled in behind the leader and managed the time on the 100M splits.

At the end of the first set, Melissa did her job by maintaining pace and leading the group to hit the mark and building a little more confidence in the water. Right, Melissa?

The second 500M, I wanted Evan to take the lead. Evan is a “speed demon”. His swim style is speed, speed, speed. But unfortunately on the longer sets he applies the same principal as if he was knocking out a 50M and dies towards the middle of any distance swim.

Again, I hung right behind the leader and managed the time. Evan hit the first 100M’s right on the mark at 1:36. The next 4 - 100’s he was so consistent that I never had to pull him back or speed him up to make the time. On that 500M we hit the splits between 1:36 to 1:38 every time. At the end of the set Evan was “jacked” as I gave him a pat on the back and told him, “good job” for controlling himself and looking towards the bigger picture.

Chris wanted to take the last 500. I knew that right out of the chute we would be too fast but I was hoping that he would settle in to make the splits. We all took off with me right behind the leader to manage time and pace. The first split was 1:25 for Chris & I, which was too fast and I could tell that the next 400M were going to be a challenge. Rounding the second 50M of the second 100 split, Chris started to fade. We hit the wall at 6 seconds slower and then on the next 50M our split put us even further behind. Chris started to slow as I tapped him on the feet to push him, but the nudging was futile, he was spent. At the 250M, Chris pulled up and I took the lead. With an 8 second deficit to make up I was hoping that the rest of the swimmers would grab on to my draft and let me pull them in to make time.

As we forged ahead at every 25M the group’s spacing increased. The time and distance was wearing and I knew that for the group the time was not going to be achieved. I slowed to see if some would catch up with 125 meters to go, but the gap had widened even further. With 100 meters to go and 5 seconds behind at the split, I made the decision to push a little harder thinking if they saw me catching them on the back end they might dig a little deeper and knock out the last 100M. The time was not met but I know every one tried their hardest to make up the time.

Jeff was the master on the 200M. He hit the mark as we ended the 200M at a sub 3:05. That is the sign of a consistent swimmer.

In order for us as a collective to achieve the goals we are assigned we need to strategize and organize after the warm up. Swimmers lead on the distance that they are stronger at and the rest fall back in a pecking order. I know my teammates in Lane 1 want to hit the goals and for us to be able to accomplish this each one of us needs to check our individual pursuits at the door and work as a team.

This principal will be applied going forward in Lane 1. My teammates in this lane are all strong swimmers and can hit the mark on each set. However, when we do not work as a collective the waters become turbulent and everyone’s rhythm gets unbalanced.

One individual continually leading from the front has proven to be our demise. I prefer to be behind a changing leader to offer the support and guidance in order for all of us to achieve greatness.

Lunchtime upper body weights is on the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment