Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Week 10 – "Time to Run Again"

“Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”
Dr. Seuss

The day started awake in bed,
Crazy thoughts of track ran through my head.
Was the wind too fast? Was the air too cool?
A person to run track this morning must be a fool.
As I lay there listening to the howl,
Common sense keep saying to me, “don’t run afoul”.
Stay in bed, lay down your head, Track will be there you cuckoo head.
Listen? Why listen to that voice, I have an appointment,
I have no choice.
Up out of bed I got the body going; it was a slow shuffle,
Moreover, it was a very slow undergoing.
I made the distance to the closet, where my clothes laid piled a mile.
10 pounds of stuff all await for me,
To slip on and get going that was to make this run worthwhile.
I hustled down the stairs to pack up my gear
As the wind blew against the house that rocked the chandelier.
Off I swiftly did made to the Jeep,
With the bitter cold cutting through the blockade of clothing piled 5 inches deep.
The freeze has seized the door handles shut,
Opening the Jeep was like prying open a hickory nut.
The handle cracked open and I jump in,
While the cold enter the Jeep causing my body to spasim.
The cold air was cruel and not a friend,
But, I was determined to get to the gym and run track to the bitter end.
Old Man Winter had been blowing so hard,
That the locks on the Jeep door stayed ajar.
With doors not closing and the wind still blowing,
I had to think fast to keep myself going,
Towards the gym where I had runners that were showing.
Fast as I could I switched cars and headed over arctic char,
Speeding to make the deadline in the compact car.
In the lair of the gym, I ran into Suzzie Lipstickum all dressed in black
As she had decided to skip the track.
“Too cold”, “not up to it”, she exclaimed,
You would have to be crazy to venture out there, "and I sustain".
Doubts rattled in my brain, as I contemplated,” is running speed outside insane”?
Was Suzzie Lipstickum right?
Was this all a hopeless fight?
With the temperatures hovering at single digits,
Is this a crazy act that has no wits?
The plan was to get warm as warm as can be,
To do this I needed to flee, to the treadmills you see.
Moving towards the stairs to go up top,
I saw one of the runners I was to go to the track with so I stopped.
It was one of the Twins, Jay Eye Blurz, all decked out in bright green,
He reminded me of a large legged lima bean.
I stated to him, are we crazy, insane?
To run track in the cold that may put our muscles at strain?
Jay Eye Blurz, decision to run or not was not concluding,
He had to get a consensus from his other half to be colluding.
As Jay Eye Blurz discussed the track with Bob Bear Quick,
I went to the mill to warm up lickity split.
10 minutes later, the Twins arrived at my side,
The decision was to run the track workouts inside.
“Too cold”, “not good for the body”,
Was the general consensus with everybody.
But, what about the last runner who was to join?
Had anyone found Ann Marie Fashion More and conjoined?
They did and she will come upstairs to the lair,
After Ann Marie Fashion More finds something to wear.
Four runners off to the treadmill row,
To start to run slow to warm up the run,
And before Ann Marie made her way to our destination so we can begun.
The runners aligned on the dreadmills of doom,

As other people look at us from all across the room.
Ann Marie Fashion More arrived as we ran on the mill,
With her outfit that she must of purchased in Brazil.
Green, yellow and blue, galore!
The four of us could not believe what she had wore!
Did she, match? That was not for us to adjudicate,
It was time to run and it and to get out the gate.

Now there were five, aligned in a row,
Like soldiers from the marine corp.
We each had a plan,
That was to be carried out,
As all started into our indoor track workouts.
1600’s 1200’s, 800’s and more we all cranked the rollers up,
And proceeded indoors.
Sweat poured from our brows as we cruised,
Down the roller path looking bemused.
At the end the workout was completed,
With the five runners, feeling quite depleted.
Warm down for 10 was next on the list,
The five ran together as if we coexist,
We were done with the track workout ,
Though it was not ideal,
Being indoors on the treadmill is not an appeal.
Stretching and gabbing always ends on a note,
As I know these great runners would say it not a misquote.
We all departed all on a high spot,
But not before I took this last shot.


1 comment:

  1. And you work when,
    oh runner with pen.
    The words do come quick
    though my head far to thick
    to appreicat the ryhme
    you penned in short time.
    I find it pain the workout today,
    hated with great disdain.
    The track I say is the only way
    to build the courage and strength
    the treadmill or dreadmill
    is for the mouse on a wheel
    not an athlete whose body must feel
    the test and the pain
    of the cold hard dark track
    to build the courge
    to build the attack
    to fend of the rest
    as they challenged my best
    to win the day
    Let's face it Treadmill is g... well, you get the idea.

    Your friend Bob

    ReplyDelete