Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day Fifteen - "Off Season"

When it rains, it pours

American Proverb


The forecast calls for 4+ inches of rain in Georgia today. The rain has had major impacts on a lot of our friends and neighbors. Fortunately, we have escaped the streams of rain until this morning. I woke to the sound of a sporadic drip hitting the carpet in our bedroom. As I investigated where the noise was coming from at 5AM it was apparent the sound was by the corner of Sarah’s dresser.

I immediately head for the attic stairs, pulled the cord and proceeded up into the insulated void above the house. I made my way across the furnace piping, along the wood planks until I had to start navigating every 16 inches across heavy covered joist of insulation. I made my way about 12 feet into the interior of the attic and heard the familiar sound of water hitting a soft surface. I focused the flashlight on the area and observed intermitting spurts of water coming from the seam of two 4 X 8’s on the roof. I shined the flashlight down into the pink sea of insulation and found the area where the water was soaking through. With my hands I removed the soaked pink weatherproofing and found the exact place of the water damage. I quickly navigated through the joist to retrieve a towel and a pan to soak up the water and capture any more penetrating streams. Once this was complete, I exited the attic and placed a towel on the bedroom carpet.

By this time it was 5:35AM and I missed my window to get to the gym and meet Jay and Bob for the track workout. I advised them to go ahead without me. I was going to stay home due to the roof issue, but thought to myself, “What can I do now? It is raining so I cannot repair the roof?” I decided to head to LTF and run some intervals on the treadmill.

The treadmill workout was uneventful at:

1 mile at 8:34
3 miles at 6:34
1 mile at 8:34

I saw Jay and Bob at the end of my workout and we talked about rain issues that Jay is having in his basement and now my recent contentions with the roof. We talked a little about the runs we just finished up and headed to the locker room to start our days.

Though it was pouring down rain, I was hoping to hit the track with both of them to see how they are progressing in their running and pace. I plan to run the back half of their 18 miler on Friday with them. Michele is also running 18 on Friday and I hooked her up with Jay & Bob so they could run together. More to come on this run in Friday.

Updates on the runners. They are all about 9 weeks out from their marathons. Jay & Bob are progressing and getting stronger every run. Sarah and Wren are doing the same. Sarah has been consistent in her stretching as well every night. I am proud of her and how far she has come over the last couple of months. I need to schedule a few runs with them in the near future so they are accustomed to my presence for Huntsville. My sister Tracey had a family set back this week. Their dog was hit by a car and killed this week. I feel for them. Their dogs are very important family members in their home and my niece has been the one that has been affected the most. As for her running, I will update later on Tracey. Ann Marie has recovered from a tweak in her right calf and is back on track this week and looking strong as always.

Along with roof leaking there are issues at work that need my attention.

You cannot control the weather, but if you are able to adapt to the weather changes then everything works out in the end.

Bob, I am tipping a 151lbs. It must have been the Rib Eye, Sweet Potato and wine last night. I'll live with that decision...

No comments:

Post a Comment