Monday, October 19, 2009

Day Twenty - "Off Season"

Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein.
Joe Theismann


Another great weekend has past. The end of a week always starts of good with the family gathering for our traditional “Friday Night Movie Night”, Cheerleading, chores and house projects on Saturday and Church, more house projects, picked out pumpkins with Ellie and of course watched football to top of Sunday. Yesterday I was up on the roof patching the leak (I hope) on the back end of the house, clearing gutters and cleaning mold spots off the shingles. As I had a climbing rope attached to the Jeep at the front of the house and was dangling near the edge of the eaves on the backside of the roof cleaning out the gutter of debris and asphalt single gravel Sarah was calling up to me. Her voice was over powered by the sound of the hose hitting the gutter as I spraying out the buildup in the gutter’s trough with my left hand and holding on to the climbing rope wrapped around my right. I had to seize my progress to be able to hear her from the 30-foot cliff I was precariously hanging off to listen to Sarah. Sarah cupped her hands around her mouth and bellowed the Pat’s are on CBS at 4PM!” I said, “Really?” “Aren’t they playing the Titan’s?” At this juncture of the pro season, the Titan’s record is a shameful 0-5. I that it was interesting that CBS would carry this game, but I am glad they are! I told Sarah, that I would finish the roof up and be ready for kick off! I had two hours to complete the patching and cleaning of the roof enabling me to gather up the football snacks and beer to watch my favorite team on national television.

I completed the roof repairs, returned all my equipment to their proper storage areas in the garage and clean off all the tar and dirt that had stuck to me during my roof job.

After cleaning up, I popped some corn, opened a bag of chips, got a beer, and headed for the den in the basement to witness the Patriot’s take on the Titan’s. Summarizing the game by the score:

A blow out.

Titan's: 0
Patriot's: 59

It was a good weekend for football. Jeff went to Pittsburgh this weekend to witness the Steelers over take the Browns: 27 to 14.

Jay’s Detroit Lions held consistent and lost another one to the Packers: 0 to 26

Moreover, Bob’s NY Giants lost to the New Orleans Saints: 48 to 27.

Now, Bob is a good friend of mine and I do not wish any "ill will" on him, but every since Super Bowl XLII when the Giants beat the Patriot’s I have not been a fan of the NYG’s. I actually do not like the Giants which is the same I can say the same for the Yankees. Sorry for your lost Bob but I did go to bed with a smile on my face.

I came out of a deep sleep at 4:59AM this morning to the sound of Train on the radio. The indication of a busy weekend for me is the wake up on Monday morning. If I do not wake up before the sound of the alarm, then I know that the weekend took a little too much out of me. For the better though.

The morning air was still and cool. The temperature was in the mid 30’s which begs the question if there really is Global Warming when mid-October in Georgia in the 30’s and New England yesterday was blanked with a snow storm. I could start in on my political views on this point, but I doubt there is enough space on the blog, so I digress and will get to my Monday morning run...

I drove the Honda for the first time in over two months after I repaired the front end suspension. The car has a new suspension, brakes, rotors and a battery. I had to garage the Jeep because it was acting up on Sarah yesterday and was not starting. Another item to add to the list of “things to do” next weekend. Got to love the “off season”.

The ride to LTF was uneventful. I tested the suspension and brakes on the Honda with a few tight turns and quick stop. Everything checks out. Pulling into the parking lot the car population for a Monday was down. I figured a lot of Monday workout junkies alarms went off, they felt the cold morning hit them and diverted the awake up call for another hour of so as they pulled the blankets up to their necks and got an extra hour of sleep.

As I made my way through the lobby, I saw Michele running on the treadmill on the second floor. She was well into her workout for 5:20AM and had a look of motivation on her. She mentioned that she was switching up Atlanta Marathon for Huntsville in December. Does this mean she is gunning for a Qualifying time as well??? I headed up to the treadmills after unloading my stuff in the locker and saw Chris, Ann Marie and Stacy on the mills facing the televisions in the back. I decided I would head over there and run with them instead of hitting my normal secluded area where no televisions or people are.
As I approached Chris, I noticed he had been running for 0:57:34 already. He indicated that he had to catch a flight to Dallas and needed to get to the airport early. As I was jumping on the mill, he was dialing it down and finishing. I looked over at Ann Marie and she was had been knocking it out for almost an hour. The plan called for 1 mile EZ, 4 miles at mid-tempo and 1 mile EZ. I was starting this same tempo run as she was doing. As always, Ann Marie looked strong as she ran the “meat & potato” portion at a 0:07:50 mile when I started to warm up.

I started the mill tempo run with a 1-mile EZ at 0:08:34’s. I am in need of shoes desperately at this point. The ball of my left foot is tender from the tread being worn down, but I figured running on the Wood Way treadmills would give me more cushion than the standards TM’s. After the first mile, the soreness went away and the muscles started to react to the workout.

During the “off season”, I have decided to train myself to start out slow and build my pace to average out to the pace I need to achieve. "Run smart and Finish strong". On this tempo run, my, “meat & potatoes” is 6:47’s for 4 miles. The tempo mile times were as follows to hit an average of 0:6:47/mile:

Mile 1: 0;07:03
Mile 2: 0:06:58
Mile 3: 0:06:38
Mile 4: 0:06;27
Average was 0:06:46 for 4 miles

I ended the tempo with an EZ 0:08:34 to cool down.


The run was good and I did not feel labored at any point of the run. Building up and finishing strong is my mantra for the upcoming marathon training this season. My experience in the past has been start real strong and finish good, but not great.

At the end of the run I did my regular stretching but took a little more time and care in making sure all my parts were properly worked.

I did not see the “dynamic duo” of Bob & Jay this morning. I believe they were going to run the tempo run outside. I will follow up with them during the day to see how it went.

Leaving the gym I felt I ran smart this morning and left me some in the tank for “a day at the office” and a leg workout at lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment