Friday, October 2, 2009

Day Three: "Off Season"

There will not be quotes everyday, but they tend to have inspiration to some or all depending on their frame of mind for the day.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
Confucius

I woke at 4:55AM ready for the day. Yesterday was a little trying on the family. El's was diagnosed with "walking pneumonia" and is asthmatic. We have all the proper meds and will get her healthy in no time. The main goal for us this weekend is to have a healthily house with balance.

Heading over to LTF to meet the group for Ann Marie's second 20 mile run I could not notice how surreal the morning was. The air was crisp, there where layers of gray thin clouds covering the ink stained sky. Fall leaves were swirling on the edge of the road as cars passed by unnoticed of their movement. Autumn is upon us in the South and it is welcomed by all. As I made my way down McGinnis Ferry Rd I noticed two small luminous lights piercing through the headlights on the Jeep at me. As I approached the two lights moved and I observed a diminutive dark figure start to drift across my path. As the headlights hit the figure it became clear that the unknown object was a black cat. It seemed that the cat waiting for the precise time to cross my path. Now I am not a huge believer in the superstition world, but a black cat in October crossing your path, let’s just say I wish I had a little salt or a chant to ward the evil spirits of the underworld away.

I arrived at LTF and saw Chris ready and eager to run all decked out in the "All3Sports" garb. After the hip issues, participating in the 70.3 this weekend, well, "strong" came to mind. We met another friend of Ann Marie's, Kristi. I have seen Kristi around LTF since the place opened but never introduced myself to her. I guess I have fallen from my politeness for a fellow runner of not ever introducing myself. I will focus on getting to know more athletes at LTF starting today. One down. Kristi.

Michele (fast swimmer) met us as well and we waited in the pit area for Ann Marie and Susan to swing by LTF, refuel, eat and do what runners do when running long (you know what I mean). A few minutes later; 5:32AM Ann Marie and Susan made their grand entrance into the lobby of LTF. They ran through pit row did their stuff and we were off. At this juncture they had 7 miles under their belt out of 20. Both runners look fresh and ready to hit the streets of Alpharetta again. They decided to run the Windward, HWY 9, Academy, back to LTF loop for 6 miles. It’s an easy rolling route with a long hill down on the back to help make up the pace if you fall behind. Great tempo run for negative splits.

The run was a comfortable 9:15/mile pace. This is the pace Ann Marie needed to maintain for the whole 20 miles on this particular training run. The air was clear and fresh and the conversation was lively. You put a bunch of athletes together and we always talk about upcoming races, injuries, shoes, food, and pace, how another athlete did in a race, etc...Anything to do with the sport we love will be brought up.

The AM Running Group (I just named Ann Marie's running team. See the pun?) was clipping along, north on Windward, left on HWY 9. We past Lone Star BBQ and the hunger pains started to creep in on me. Pulled pork sandwich drenched in BBQ sauce and an ice cold beer would have stopped me in my tracks even at 6AM. Yes, 6AM. When you get up at the hours we get up at, time is irrelevant as to what type of food you eat and when.

Heading up towards Academy on HWY 9 I could see that the miles were starting to alter Ann Marie's pace by the sound of her shoes hitting the pavement. She looked fine but, I asked her how the pace was and we were still on track, 9:15's. A little friendly reminder of the pace helps drive you back in line of the goal. I tried not to ask too many times, because I noticed half the group had Garmins and there was a constant flick of the wrist to expose the green hue of the watch to reinsure that they were on pace. The Garmin is a tool that is helpful in maintaining pace but can also be your worst enemy. Being a slave to hit pace can cause irregular pacing in the lure of hitting an "average" pace. I use it on unfamiliar runs, but where I know the mile markers, I go off of the $30 Timex and the feel. Not that I am a natural born runner, but when you have experienced the runner's high, you try to capture the feeling as many times as you can. It is intoxicating. But on this "off season" run I told Chris half way through that it was a pleasure not to worry about pace, miles or time. Heck, I did not even start my stop watch or didn't care on the miles.

Cruising down Academy I knew the group would increase the pace due to the laws of gravity. Academy is a long downhill from HWY 9 that helps you in recouping lost time and focusing on how you feel, refuel and get the form back. We finished up on Academy and turned on Morris so the some of the group could peel off and Ann Marie, Susan & Michele could refuel and do what they do...We dropped off Chris and Kristi, the rest got ready to head out for the remainder 7 or so miles (wasn't really keeping count).

The AM Running Group was down 2 runners, but we were off again. This time the run carried us on Webb Bridge heading towards the Webb Bridge Park. Susan commented on WB's hill, it is a 1 mile downhill, followed by a number of short low grade rollers and a continually humbling false flat to the park. I advised Susan that this is a good route for a negative split because of the downhill coming back. She did ask about heading up WB hill but I didn't respond, purposely. In my mind the way her stride was the hill was going to be more mental than her endurance so I let it go. It is observed on long runs with endurance athletes that the conversation gravitates from, races, injuries, shoes, etc, to the two main things that we have on our minds as the miles tick away and the mental facilities are tested; food and poop. It is interesting that these two functions that everyone does, one socially acceptable to discuss and the latter, taboo are the staple of conversations once you have hit a certain point in your mileage. The group of 3 women and me, this conversation started and did not alter due to gender differences. I must note that I was not the first one, being the male in the group to bring up the "laws of nature".

We crested at the top of Webb Bridge's rollers and gradual increases and turned at the park. From here, it was all gravy to the base of Mt. Webb Bridge. As the group trekked closer to the point of what makes you a runner and why people stay in bed, Michele picked the pace up a little. I decide to hang with her hoping that the increase in speed would spur the two harriers to dig deep for that last bit of energy stored to crest the top and to the 20 Mile Victory. I kept looking back as Michele and I picked it up to 8:25's (I think) and noticed that AM and S were holding their own and powering up the Mountain. As we hit the summit, Michele had 1.5 miles to go in her run so she headed toward NP intersect and around to Morris to make the mileage. As AM & S peaked the crest, I congratulated the two alpinist for their conquest as we ran the last few 10ths of a mile to the LTF parking lot.

Both these elite runners started strong and finished with an accomplishment of hitting their goal on pace and mileage. High fives were given in respect to their accomplishment, but at 7:30AM, I needed to bolt to start my day.

As I was exiting LTF I saw my two friends, Bob and Jay. Both of them looked fresh for just knocking out 20 miles. Now, this is a pure compliment to these other 2 elite runners, since I ran shorter distance and different training pace. Bob, looked as if he was ready to take on another 10 and Jay represented himself as if he was just starting his 20.

I contemplate on some days if I am creating "monsters" on this training program that may gobble me up. I guess it is fitting thoughts for heading into the hallows of October, where ghouls and goblins reign the darkness. Actually and honestly, I am proud of my wife, my sister and all of my friends for taking on this challenge in the hopes of joining me at the Holy Grail of marathons in late April.

My glory is that I am surrounded by a circle of exceptional athletes that share the same passions; family, friends, challenges and success, so when you do fall you are not there alone to pick yourself up.

Author's Note: I have to mention that I have been called out. This is from my friend and arch-nemesis, Jay. Jay has cast doubt on how long the blog will be in circulation. Well, Jay has put up a challenge. It is not an assertion of physical endurance, but one of intellectual persistence. Jay, my friend...Game on! In addition, Jay sent me an email to make sure that everyone knows he did his, "night soiling" at mile 9. Good boy Jay.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff, Coach C! You're on a roll; for a man of few words during 3+ hr rides, you certainly share plenty in your posts. Nice to see and I enjoy reading what you have to share.

    ReplyDelete