Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day Twenty Seven - "Off Season"

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yesterday had become one of those days to be forgotten. The stomach issues and a major computer issue with my team of 50 employees that have thrown us back into the stone age of technology. Lessons continue to been learned and now it is time to forge ahead.
Here is an update from my sister, Tracey that I received on Monday:

Well, after being sick & putting off my 20 miler all week, I needed some outside reinforcements who better to call then my friend Kelly, talk about somebody who is enthusiastic about running! She hasn't run 20 miles in a while, I told her the pace I needed to be at & she could do what she wanted, just having her out there w/ me was comforting, & she was more than happy to come a long & motivate me. We picked a route we both knew & after a few miles she did her thing & I stayed on pace (we were meeting up at a lake running trail going a few miles & then coming back home)The first 13 felt great, after that my legs started to get really tired, then I had to run up a couple of gradual hills on the way back which was difficult to do. I like the idea of going faster downhill, I was having trouble keeping pace going up! Overall it went well I came in at 2:56 something, It was a little fast ( goal was 3:01:36) I'm trying to figure out what kind of split I should do, at first I thought I should start slower & pick it up at the end, but I'm not so sure I will have the gusto in the end...


Like most runners, she needs to adapt her pacing for efficiencies and economy on the hills to have enough in the tank to be strong at the end of the long run or marathon. The positive note is that the groups of runners training for their marathons are learning something new about their running and are improving every day.

In the South, the autumn season comes late in October. When the fall approaches, it attacks unrestrained. It is witnessed that the foliage explode in a day’s time to the colors of the Thanksgiving Holiday with orange, red, yellow and brown leaves blanketing the landscape within the suburban sprawl we live in. As a runner, you welcome the change in seasons from the damp, muggy, humid days of summer to the crisp, cool days of the autumn.

Sarah and Wren are out for their 10-mile tempo this morning. They have decided to head out early because we are expecting a significant downpour in the next couple of hours. I will give an update on their run tomorrow.

The morning hit hard at 4:55AM as the alarm felt as if it reached out and knocked me in the head. I had gone to bed at a decent time from the exhaustion I was experiencing from the sleepless night 24 hours before. With the body trying to make up the deficit, I must have slept quite soundly but the 7 ½ hours of slumber were not enough. I debated on resetting the alarm to a later time of the morning, but since it was Master’s Swim day and I had paid for the sessions, that was my motivating factor to drag the body out of bed and hit the pool.

I arrived at LTF around 5:12AM, which is 5-10 minutes ahead of my regularly scheduled time. I was fortunate to hit all 14 traffic lights on my route at the peak of green. This cuts the time down dramatically as I arrived at LTF well ahead of schedule. I thought to myself as I unloaded the car that I have had to arrive here well before Jay this time since I did not see his car in the lot of sparsely parked vehicles.

Heading in the front door I was greeted with a, “hey” from Brian who was just coming in from a 6 mile run. Brian made a bee-lined to the second floor to stretch prior to jumping in the pool for Master’s. I also noticed Michele gating away on the treadmill that overlooks the lobby area. I wondered if there was a swim scheduled or does the running prohibit the swimming at this time in lieu of more miles. When I get the opportunity to talk to her, I need to ask her. I have to admit that her absence in the pool has moved me up to the “Big Fish” title. It is short lived, I know, but it is a moment I savor if it is only brief.

Coach Mike’s workout for Tuesday, October 27th:

250M Warm Up
150M Choice: Opted for pulls
6 X 100M Kicks on the 2:10
5 X 100M on 1:50
5 X 100M on 1:40
5 X 100M on 1:35
8 X 50M on :50
200m side kicks
10 X 25M 6 Wall push-ups on each end
10 X 25M 6 floor push-ups on each end
150M Kick
100M Cool Down

Some deception transpired this morning. The 100M’s frees each had 10 seconds more than the time above. When I hit the lane, Brian and Coach Mike indicated that our lane (2) was going to shave the times on the 100M’s. I was tired from the night before and the “mojo” was not flowing, but I figured if Brian, who just ran 6 miles was willing to conquer the times, then I am game. We hit the 1:50’s with little effort on each interval. When we started on 1:40,’s we both hit the first 100M, but after that, I noticed Brian was trailing off and hitting the wall after I had left on the mark. Then on the 1:35’s, he was even further behind. I kept thinking, why would he suggest times that, he could not hit? Well, after the workout and in the locker room Brian and I talked about the intervals and revealed that Coach Mike had told Brian that I wanted to step up on the times on the set, so Brian agreed. At that point, I indicated to Brian that I was under the assumption that he discussed the workout with Coach Mike and he was the one that wanted to boast the workout by eliminating time off the intervals. We both looked at each other and simultaneously said, “We were duped!”

The swim workout was finished at this point and the both of us had done what we could to make it at the goal times or at least attempting by giving it our best shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment