Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day Two "Off Season"

My future starts when I wake up every morning...Every day I something creative to do with my life.

Miles Davis (1926-1991)
The fall weather is upon us and I am enjoying the cooler mornings and mild tepid days. With everything that is positive there are always negatives. My youngest daughter, Ellie, has had a nasty cough for the last 4 days. Last night after dinner was unbearable for her. She had a 2-hour coughing fit in bed with bloody noses and throwing up. You feel powerless because you want to take all that misery away and give her her health back, but just like most illnesses it needs to run its course. We are watching her (no fevers) and she will be making a trek to the doctors if this cough persists. If there is, one thing I despise is being sick.
Ellie's illness is also forcing Sarah to change up her training routine. Sarah and Wren were going to run their 20 miler this morning, but Sarah had to cancel it. They plan to run the 20 on Sunday and Sarah will try to get her speed workout accomplished today around lunch. I will cruise home at lunch and hang with Ell’s and play a few games of "Rat-A-Tat-Cat" while Sarah can complete her run for today.

Woke this morning at 4:55AM. The plan was to get back into the pool on a regular basis. I paid my fee for October and being the miser I am, I want to get every penny out of the workouts. I saw Melissa in the parking lot when I pulled up. Melissa said, "good morning, Corey" across a couple of rows of cars in the lot. Melissa exhibited a lot of energy for 5AM. I like to see that, it gave me a boost to start the workout since I was fueling on less than 6 hours of sleep.
With the air temperature around 50 degrees we have moved from outside to the inside pool though I think we can squeeze a few more workouts outside. Lanes are a little tighter in the indoor pool, but it is manageable with the group of approximately 17 swimmers.

I saw Michele and gave her my data for her thesis study. She was flipping through the data and was surprised at the number of pages of data I had collected. She sated that Chris only fille dout 2 sheets? I said to her, "you wanted every minute of every day, well here it is". I will be interested in her feedback and results. I asked Michele about her quad issue. She said that it hurts when she does speed. Therefore, I told her the most basic cure, "don't do speed until the quad is better". I guess when you get to certain ages and have been through this type of thing advise is easy to give but hard for the receiver to take. She will do fine.

A few people told me how sorry they felt that my race on Sunday did not work out. I appreciate that I have many good people around me that genuinely care, because I have learned recently that this is what matters in life, not only your highs and lows but also the highs and lows of the people that touch your life. As Sarah say, "it's not all about you". Moreover, in the sport that we put 100% into unfortunately we lose the true meaning of the word, "sport" and that is what it is all about. As for my demeanor, its water under the bridge now. Lets move on.

Swim Coach Mike's workout all in meters:

350 Easy
300 Drills

Main
6X100: 2:15
5X100: 2:10
4X 100: 2:05
2X 100: 2:00
1X 100: 1:55
300 Out & Backs
Next set after each rep you get out of the pool then dive back in for the next one:
2X 100: 2:00
4X 50: 1:00
6X 25: :30
2X 50: :55
1X 100: 1:55
200 EZ
150 Kicks

I did the B workout on the B time. I went at a comfortable pace and did not jack the heart rate up. Had plenty of rest (maybe too much) in between the reps. It looked like everyone had a good workout though I heard Melissa in Lane 1 gripe a few times. What happen to her positive energy a half an hour earlier??? I need to move into her lane soon. Watch out Melissa!

At the end of the workout during the kicks, my friend, Jeff asked me if I enjoyed reliving the race to everyone, I see over and over. Though I do not particularly enjoy it, I understand the curiosity factor. It is like when you break your leg. Everyone has to ask you, "What happen"? After the 100th time, you become numb too it. Nevertheless, again, I know the people who are asking do care. But, lets move on.

After the swim, I dipped into the hot tub with Jeff, Susan, Ann Marie and Chris. Susan wanted the link to this blog so here you go Susan. Chris is preparing to ramp up the training for the ING-Miami marathon, while his wife; Stacy is heading off to run in the Chicago Marathon in the next 10 days. Ann Marie is prepping for her 20-miler tomorrow morning and is figuring out the logistics for the entourage of runners she is lining up. She states that her "Star Trek" and "Romulans" are hurting as she pointed to her calf. I assume that meant her calf is tight. I wish Sarah & Wren could run with Ann Marie, but their paces on the FURMAN plan are different. It would be good for all 3 of them to hook up. I plan to run 6-8 miles in the morning with Ann Marie's group to help her through this long one and to continue to flush out the cobwebs in my legs.

In the parking lot, ironically Jay ran over to me with my bike pump in his hands. I told him that I probably would not have missed this until next May when the bike comes down from the rafters.
Creativity should start the moment you wake up. Each day is a new beginning with new adventures and mine started at 4:55AM.

2 comments:

  1. Corey..you are inspiring and I love your new blog. It makes me think and laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^what she said...glad to be partaking as well.

    ReplyDelete