Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day Twenty Two -"Off Season"

“Red skies at night, sailors delight
Red skies in the morning, sailors take warning"


It is 7:11AM when this picture was taken

Looks like we are in for more rain in the next day and over the weekend.

Last night was the Sharon Springs “Pep-Rally”. All of the cheer squads gathered on the field to show the parents their stuff. The congregation of cheerleads ranging from 5 years old to 12 years old was over 100! Each squad performed a routine and after the routines, the 10-12 year old squads played a Powder Puff Football game against each other while the football players cheered for them. My daughter, Grace, her team won the game 17-0. The girls had a fun time at the rally last night. Grace and Ellie are enjoying the team atmophere of cheerling which Sarah and I am glad to see. Speaking of Sarah, she and Wren are running the 3rd 20 miler this morning. I can not wait to hear how it went. I had to leave a message on the answering machine this morning. I talk to Sarah every morning but this particular morning we missed each other. There is a little bit of stress with this 20 miler due to work, Ellie being sick and well just life, so instead of attempting to call her and talk, I will just let her "do her thing" and I will get the report on the run later this afternoon.

Thursday morning. The ‘hump” of the week has been conquered and now it is downhill to the weekend. This is not an indication the rest of the week will be a piece of cake or I will skate through the rest of the 5 day work week. This particular week has seen its “red skies” but I have been able to manage through some turbulent storms with "presumable" smooth sailing ahead even with the warnings in the sky.

The alarm sounded at 4:50AM in the darkness of the morning. The days continue to get shorter with sun light as we drive closer to the changing of the clocks and winter solstice. I woke with a few aches and pains that I have not experienced in the past. Left calf was tender, left rotator cuff had a slight pinch and the right trapezius was sore. The feeling when I awoke was as if I had just played a game of football with Bob and his neighbors on the Grid Iron, even though I had not experienced this activity as of yet. Or maybe it is jsut the old age thing...Nah, can't be!

I shuffled off to the closet, gathered my gear and headed towards Alpharetta. I have been driving the Honda all week since the Jeep has been acting up lately. I have put the repairs on the list of things to do, but at this point with the Honda running and Sarah's van humming along, it is not at the top of my list.

With the monotony of the past couple of weeks that I have been experiencing, I have been taken a different route to LTF and I am really mixing things up by parking in different spots everyday attempting to break the “creature of habit” syndrome.

I made my way through the lobby of LTF and took a short cut through the family lockers onto the pool deck and into the men’s locker room. At 5:15AM as I passed through the pool deck, there was Jay standing there waiting for the Master’s clan to arrive. I always wonder what is going through his mind that he needs to get to the pool so dang early on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s. Jay is always the first one there. Maybe I will mess with his routine, get there extra early, take his locker (creature of habit) just to throw a monkey wrench into the mundane.

Coach Mike’s Master’s Workout for today:

300M Warm up
200M Any stroke but free style
150M Kick
2 X 200M @ 3:50 (too much rest time)
2 X 200M @ 3:40
2 X 200M @ 3:30 (we took 5 seconds in my lane to push a little more)
2 X 200M @ 3:20 (same thing)
4 X 100M @ 1:40
50M EZ
12 X 50M Up and Out, into the zero entry pool around the magic mushroom and back in the lap pool. I walked around the shroom instead of running. Ran yesterday and this is an off day for running)
6 X 25M 12 Deck push-ups
150 Kick
150 EZ

I cut the time on the 200’s because for some reason I cannot put my finger on, this distance is mind numbing too me. I figured by cutting the time it would go by faster. Well, it worked. I don’t think Jeff and Melissa were too happy with me on these because on a few turns they were standing on the wall when they should have been well on their way down the lane.

I just received a company email that needs my attention. The storm is coming from the indications in this correspondence and I need to prepare by “battening down the hatches”. It looks like it may be a rough ride. So much for smooth sailing the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment