Monday, October 5, 2009

Day Six -"Off Season???"

The superior man is satisfied and composed; the mean man is always full of distress.

Confucius


I thought I would start out with a little summary of the runners’ 20 milers. I check in with each of them to see how their runs were last week. Sarah and Wren ran their 20 miler at Kennesaw State Park. Though the terrain was challenging the run was a change of pace and the 20 miles completed. Sarah stated she ran well, a little off pace, due to roots, mud, rocks, hills and Wren had some high points and low points do to the obstacles on the course. My sister, Tracey, ran her 20 miler mid-week. She is learning that food and hydration are key elements to long endurance runs and she is mastering this process. Her run went well. Her friend, Kelly (natural born runner, X number of times at Boston) said to Tracey that she becoming burned out with her running routine and though she was a skeptic in the beginning, Kelly is finding Tracey’s training program more interesting than just running 5-6 days a week. Tracey will be bringing Kelly over to the “FIRST Side”. Ann Marie felt good after her 20 on Friday but has been nursing a calf pain all weekend that popped up. This is a recovery week, so I advised backing off and rest. Get better and then attack again starting next week. She came off a 10K & Half Marathon race in the last 3 weeks and it has taken its toll. The boys, Jay & Bob continue to motor through the training with no issues except for pace. But, with these two the competitive juices run deep even in training. They will do fine and I am watching their every move.


The weekend: What an awesome weekend. Completed all the items on my list for this weekend (see Saturday’s post). The trim in the house is going to be an ongoing project. Ellie is feeling a lot better. (Thanks Melissa for the note) Her coughing is at a minimum and she headed off to school. Grace had cheerleading on Saturday, was an acolyte on Sunday and she brought our dog Haley to the Blessing of the Pets. Every fall this custom is conducted in remembrance of St. Francis of Assisi’s and his love of animals. Also on Sunday, the Patriots won 27-21 against the Ravens. Since Sarah ran her 20 on Sunday I made a recovery dinner on Sunday night, Chicken & Pumpkin Curry. It is full of protein, carbs and herbs for anti-inflammatory purposes to help in recovery after her run. The smells of curry and lemongrass were intoxicating and the taste was out of this world.


I can report all is right with life, family and friends except one thing...


A nagging issue that continues to haunt me over this last week is, Augusta. I have to admit that the constant thought of last Sunday continues to plague me even though I have said, “it is water under the bridge”. There is a whole left in me that is difficult to fill, the “what if”. Time cures all and I know I will forget last Sunday as the seasons change but it has been difficult because I do feel distress in my lack of accomplishment. This is when I need a goal to accomplish. Yes, I have a “to-do” list mile long and it will be completed, but I need a fitness goal.


Last night I pulled out “Run Less, Run Faster” and built my next training session. Now, I know you are thinking, “Hey? Aren’t you in the off season? What are you doing building another training season?” Well, yes, this is the off season, but who says you need to lay dormant and hibernate for the Winter? My goal is to PR at Boston. In order to accomplish this task I need to start now and build strength, build speed and knock a few pounds off to actualize this goal. Therefore, I am training to increase my speed to hit a PR on a 5K race in mid December in order to start the Furman Training on my new established time. What time is that you say? Well, you need to see mid-December.


I woke at 4:41AM to the continuous sound of rain hitting the changing leaves on the trees in the back yard. As I lie there preparing myself for the day, I made a pack with myself to wash away the past of last week as the rain cleanses the Earth of toxicants and replenishes with new life. Today, is a brand new day and my oppressed thoughts will be washed away as well.

5:30AM I got out of bed and made my voyage through the rain soaked streets of Suwanee and Alpharetta. Arriving at LTF I felt ready to hit the first tempo run of the “off season”. The upstairs of LTF was crowded as it is always full of people coming off a weekend of eating and drinking in the attempts to get to their ideal weight.


Build Speed:
I jumped on the treadmill near the air ducts (to keep me cool) and started the run. The workout was:
1 mile EZ: Pace 8:34/mile
3 miles at Short Tempo: Average Pace was 6:25/Mile
1 Mile EZ: Pace 8:34/mile


The paces were fine during this run, but I continually need to work on form. Head up, chest out, arms moving, mid-foot strike. When the mind starts to wonder, the body follows. I need to keep the mind sharp and focused to keep the body’s motion in line for efficiency.
I finished up and started on my stretching:
Hamstrings, back, hip flexors, gluts, calves & quads. The process takes 20 -30 minutes of good stretching.


I saw Ann Marie during this time and that is when she told me of the calf issues. I need to watch her and help her stay on track. I believe in the F.I.R.S.T. program and feel responsible for all that are on the program, but each one needs to adhere to regiment in order for it to work. Sarah is doing awesome with her constancy and I see her getting stronger and few issues every day. For Ann Marie, there should be no more races for her until Huntsville. A pure focus on the 3 quality runs should be her top priority (hear that Ann Marie?) I know I keep saying it, but with Ann Marie’s tenacity and Sarah & Wrens consistency, they would make a good running group. It is the same for Bob, Jay and I. However, those two are getting stronger by the day. I am watching you boys! Jay wanted me to mention that Bob and him ran track in the rain this morning. Hard core stuff.


Build Strength:
There will be a lunchtime weights session focusing on legs:
Hip Flexors-Outer
3-10 X 65lbs
Hip Flexors-Inner
3-10 X 100lbs
Hip Flexors-Front
3-10 X 85lbs
Gluts
3-10 X 120lbs
Hamstrings:
3-10 X 135lbs
Quads
3-10 X 165lbs
Core:
Sit-ups: 100-150
Quads-Sled
3-10 X 360lbs
Calves:
3-10 X 135lbs


I am satisfied with the next 12 weeks of what I have lined up. My main commitments will not be compromised, family, work and Sarah’s training.


Composer will prevail as distress has been washed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment