Sunday, January 24, 2010

End of Week 13 - "Long Run"

"What attempts to break you down can only make you stronger."

Week 16: 13 mile run – 17 degrees & windy
Week 15: 15 mile run – Ice storm forced the run on the treadmill
Week 14: 17 mile run – Early morning downpour, soaking wet Columns trail
Week 13 – 18 mile run – Rain, wind, hills…

These have not been ideal runs, but you can never control the weather on race day.

The weather prediction for Sunday morning was rain. The 18 mile run was planned for after church at 10AM. The option to run on the treadmill was off the table. Pushing 15 miles is the most I would ever want to accomplish, so the outside was calling.

The course was laid out last night. The pace was 8 minute miles and the queue sheet was ready. The queue had land marks and street crossings at certain miles and the time I needed to hit to stay on course.

The morning was wet and cold as I prepped for the run with a large bowl of oatmeal, banana and coffee. I prepared a snack on the way to the gym of 30 Swedish Fish and a bottle of water.

At 9:30AM I left the church parking lot and traveled the 1 mile to the Johns Creek LTF. There was a heavy mist of rain covering the windshield as I made my way to the gym.

The course that was lined up for the 18 mile run was littered with hills as the course I plotted traversed me through Johns Creek, Milton and Alpharetta.

The course:

JC-LTF
Lakeside to Johns Creek Pkwy
Johns Creek Pkwy to Route 141
Route 141 (S) to State Bridge
State Bridge to Old Milton
Old Milton to North Point
North Point to Windward
Windward to Clubhouse Drive
Clubhouse to Newport Bay
Newport Bay to Douglas
Douglas to Jones Bridge
Jones Bridge to Sargent
Sargent to Findley
Findley to Route 141
Stop

Hills, hills, and more hills. Add wind and rain into the mix it is a serious run. The total run was 2:20:40 or a 7:48 per mile pace. I will take it.

Now, I know what you are thinking again, “too fast!” Well, you are right and you are wrong. I have had to readjust my paces due to the sciatica issue. The pace was to be 7:45 per mile on the original plan. I notched the pace back due to the hip pain, but since it was feeling strong I knocked it up a little to a pace that I knew I would not push it beyond my ability to control the injury. I felt fine so I kept it at a pace that I knew I could achieve.

The run was solemn except for when I stopped at the Shell Station on Windward and Windward Concourse. I ran into the store, grabbed a Gatorade and paid. At this time I heard, “hey Corey”. I turned around and it was Courtney. Courtney was pumping gas in her truck to make her way down with Susan to the Columns to run. I filled up my bottle, said my good-byes to Courtney and I was off. Seeing her gave me a boast of energy for the hills that faced me.

Now, I sit here watching football. The Jets just scored and are up on the Colts 7-3. Not sure what is going to transpire in this game, but with the Jets coming off two away post season games and won them to get to this point, there is a chance.

Note: I am not a Jets fan; I just do not care for the Colts.

No comments:

Post a Comment