Monday, January 4, 2010

Week 15 - "Cross Training"

Yesterday was spent doing a whole lot of nothing and enjoying it. The weather outside was frightfully cold so we opted to stay in most of the day. My oldest daughter, Grace took off to her friend's house for the afternoon and Sarah spent most of the day working on the computer. This left Ellie and me to fend for ourselves.

There was Wii to be played. We measured our BMI and found out that both of us are underweight. But, the Wii Fit also stated that Ellie was 33 years old and I was 50 years old. So there is not much substantial evidence to believe that the Wii is accurate. We did have fun ski jumping and taking the body tests. After Wii Fit we jumped into Rock Band and jammed a number of tunes to the Beatles. That passed the time while there were lame football games on the T.V.

Pretty much all day Ellie and I hung out and did things together except when I was watching football. She would disappear for a while and reappear when summoned.

This morning was bitterly cold again. Even the closet was frigid as I changed at 4:55AM to head off to Brian's Spin Class. I needed to get the legs moving after yesterday's "too fast" run. The legs were sore and cramped and Spin Class (light) was the right thing to loosen them up.

The class for the first of the year was not as crowded as expected. There were a number of bikes open. I saw Ann Marie, Stacy and Amy at the front of the class. We talked for a couple of minutes and I told them I was heading to the back. Being in the back where no one can see you allows you to "do your own thing".

I saw Calvin spinning away and grabbed a bike next to him. Now, Brian's class is popular and a lot of people enjoy his class even me, but after being away from indoor spin for almost 8 months, I must admit it is mind numbing. Being out on the road with other cyclist is far more superior than any spin class. 60 minutes is about 20 minutes longer than I can take with any Spin Class. It is good cross training for the marathon and I have set my sights on every Monday until at least the weather is conducive to outdoor riding. (That is if I ever get back on a bike)

Lunchtime was upper body weights and core. Being away from weights for over 2 weeks and basically no sit-ups during this time the body is feeling the effects. I am back in the routine and will be consistent again to build the strength I need at my age.

1 comment:

  1. Spin class: this is why I bought a computrainer. I don't trust perceived effort and like to know my numbers.

    And what is this "if I ever get back on a bike"?

    ReplyDelete