Thursday, January 21, 2010

Week 13 - "Cross Training"

Last night Ellie wanted to go to "Steak-n-Shake" for her birthday celebration. You gotta love it when your kid wants simplicity instead of immoderation to celebrate her special day.

The four of us headed off to the restaurant with presents and a cake in tow. The plan was to order, open presents and then have cake.


In a world of "trying to stay in shape" by eating the right things constantly I find that my body goes through cycles. About every 30 days or so, after eating tons of fruits, veggies, lean meats and carbs. I crave nothing more than grease, salt and sugar! If you could take all three and make a burger, fries and mocha shake and mix it in the blender with a beer, I would be in heaven. But this evening the indulgence was going to be savored by chewing every last morsel till the plate was clear. Sarah and I ordered burgers while the girls asked for chicken sandwich and tenders. We all loosened the belt and ordered shakes to wash all the goodness down.





The Birthday Girl Acting a Little Funny

After the ordering and salivating in anticipation for the artery clotting meal Ellie opened presents from us. Again, simplicity rules. Ellie wanted a Touch-n-Brush dispenser (a "As Seen on TV" gadget) and the game, "Mad Gab". Sarah and I purchased these gifts for her, while Grace gave Ellie the gift of scents. Body wash, Shampoo and Conditioner from Bath and Body. Ellie was excited and pleased at her new gifts and immediately ran into the bathroom to try out all her new body washes on her hands...


At the end of the gifts it was chow time. We all ate our meals with pleasure and were beyond stuffed towards the end. It was just good eats.


We had some kind of cake controtion and sang Happy Birthday at the restaurant and then hung out to let the food settle.





Pure Goodness

Waddling out of Steak-n-Shake Ellie wanted to head to Target to buy a pedometer with birthday money she received from her Aunt, Uncle and cousins in Boston. The exact nature as to why a pedometer is unclear for a 9 year old, but she was set on it so, the girls walked over to Target as I meandered over to the car, answered a few business emails and met them in front of the store.

Ell's B-day was a a good time and she enjoyed herself which was the whole point of letting her do what she wanted to do on her day.


This morning came quick. From last nights indulgence I expected to have a rough night, but the sleep was sound.


I headed to the gym for the Thursday Master's Swim. I have to leave earlier now since the main drag of road I take into Alpharetta, day-and-day out is closed for construction. I am trying alternate routes in the attempt to find the most direct way to my destination. The route this morning was accelerated as I arrived at the LTF parking lot around 5:10AM. I may continue to use this route if it allows me an additional 5 to 10 minutes of additional sleep.

The pool deck and lanes this Thursday were not at capacity like they have been recently. The AA lanes only had 3 to a lane while the other lanes where 4. This makes the swim more manageable on the turns and starts.


Coach Mikes' Workout:

400M EZ
200M Paddles
4 X 100M I.M.
10 X 200M on the 3:30
8 X 100M
1 & 5: Stroke
2 & 6: Tarzan Swim
3 & 7: Fist
4 & 8: Smooth
200M Kick
100M EZ

The workout was moderate in effort today which was fine with me. My goal was to work off a burger, fries, shake and cake. Mission accomplished.


Lunchtime will consist of an upper body, core and stretching routine.

Must continue to monitor flights to Boston for April. There has to be a bargain that pops up very soon.

1 comment: