Sunday, January 17, 2010

End of Week 14 & The Beginning of Week 13

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Dr. Suess


It is Tuesday morning after a long Holiday Weekend. The long weekend went by in a blur. I always enjoy the extra time off to spend with the family and work on house projects.

This blog is quite long packing 4 days into the mix.

Saturday was a day of rain and chores. Saturday is the day the the whole family cleans out the week of "living" in our home. Bathrooms, kitchen, bedrooms and laundry were all in need of a deep cleaning.

After the house was worked on there was a little time for some antics. Ellie for Christmas received a Po-Go stick from Santa, "yes Virginia there still is a Santa Claus". When she first received the stick her amount of consecutive jumps was four. Over the next couple of days she was getting discouraged by only topping four jumps on the new toy. I gave her some pointers, with the main piece of advise for her was, practice. We continue to instill in our girls in this world of instant gratification that nothing comes easy and only dedication, time and practice will develop the results you want.

I gave Ellie a goal of her own for her new toy. I told her to practice so she would be able to hit 9 jumps by her birthday.

Ellie has been practicing for a week and she went from four jumps to 1,135 consecutive jumps. This shot was taken at the exact moment she hit 1,135. She has a drive like her mom and dad.







After the event above it was time for me to get to work on the mudroom. Recess lighting is in. Bead board is up. Ceiling, walls and bead board is painted. Old floor is ripped up and prepped. Time for tile. I have decided to take my time and work the tiles manually and not use any electric machinery when laying the tile. Below is what is being used, along with a pair of snips to trim around the molding.







Saturday night was movie night. The four of us went to see Aviator. All I can say is that it was awesome. There are very few movies I would see again in the theaters but this one is one I would repeat. If you have not seen it. Get some candy, popcorn and waters and get ready for almost 3 hours of excitment.

As I put Ellie to bed she requested that I wake her at 7:15AM Sunday morning for church. I had to reluctantly advise my youngest that Dad was not going to church in the morning. This is when she sat up in bed and asked why? She stated we always go to church and that I was obligated to go with them. I tried to explain my schedule in the morning to her, but it did not fly. She did not think running should take presidence over church. And she was right... I left her room as I tucked her in feeling guilty for not participating in our families worship time.

I am dedicated to my workouts, but I need to adjust my thinking to insure that I continue to be dedicated 100% to my obligations to my family when it comes to our time at church. In this case, Dr. Suess in not correct. Being who I am, has had an effect on the ones that matter. For the remaining 13 weeks of training, the scheduling will change and when events do come up on a Sunday (most races are on Sunday), I will make sure that I discuss these with my children.

Sunday is the long run for the week. The plan is 17 miles. I decided to hit the Columns for the run. I figured with the gravel path the impact on the spine and hip would be minimized enabling me to accomplish the 17 mile goal. Ann Marie said that she would meet me at the Columns for the last hour of my run on her, yes, Birthday! I will not published her age since a lady never reveals her age. Though I know who old she is from all of her races and age group winnings...

Saturday we exchanged a few emails and Facebook...communications? What are the notes on Facebook called anyways? The plan was that we would meet at the Columns at 8AM. It was raining pretty hard on Saturday night and I gave her an "out" if she did not want to drive down and run in the rain on her birthday.

Sunday morning came at 5:30AM. I needed to fuel up prior to the run. I ate 4 pieces of toast with peanut butter and grape jelly on top of each piece, glass of OJ and a travel mug of coffee.

Sunday mornings in the northern suburbs of Georgia are peaceful. There are no cars on the road, everyone is still sequestered in their homes sound asleep. The ride down 400 to the Columns was solem. I arrived at the park, paid my token $3 for the privilage to be the first and only car in the lot. It was 5 minutes after the 6:30AM departure time and I new that I had to hussle and get on the trail. I had 1 hour and 24 minutes to run the 10.5 miles prior to Ann Marie showing at 8AM.

The park was pitch black as I stared towards the trail that seemed to lie on the edge of the abyss. The sight range was about 4 feet just enough for me to see the trail floor as I ran.





Looking down the trail at the Columns Parking Lot right before the run


As I made my way down the atramentous trail with my iPod pumping my warm up music in my ears I was having a hard time seeing my foot placement. I decided after .5 miles to turn the tunes off in order for me to hear the rhythm of my feet stiking the gravel since my vision was obstured by the lack of light.

After the first mile I became intune with the sound of the gravel under my feet and fell in to a steady pace. The goal for this run was 8 minute miles or 45 seconds over marathon race pace. I easily dropped into this pace as the gravel, mud and water below me made various sounds as I trotted down the darkness.

About this time I started to hear thunderous noises all around me. I heard and felt the pounding of hooves darting in front, behind and on the sides of my path. In the Cimmerian morning your mind plays tricks on you that your eyes can not justify for validation. The noise continued to amplify and I felt presences surrounding me as a dark figure an arm length ahead of my destination crossed my path. I caught a glimp on the left side of me a faint white object bouncing up and down. This vision put everything into prospective. It was not the hiena like creatures that plagued JakeSully in Aviator in the jungle, but white tailed deer that I had spooked with the movement and sound of my feet on the gravel path. This realization settled the heart rate and brain waves after seeing the figure of the deer and it not being a alien creature that was looking to feast on my bones.

The next 9 miles where uneventful as I settled in and cruised the Columns. At the ending of the 10.5 miles and the pick up of Ann Marie, I was hoping that she was going to show. I had given her an out due to the rain, but at this point of the run I needed some human conversation especially when we had scheduled to meet up at 8AM. It is not that I could not have run the rest of the run along, but I was looking forward to having another runner with me and if the plans had change it would have let a little air out of my sails.

Rounding the bend on the trail I could see about 200 meters up an angelic figure standing by the enterance to the trail. Nearing the figure (I didn't have my glasses on, hard to see until I am close) in a white techincal shirt, white shoes and a bright white hat that look like a halo it turned out to be Ann Marie. (Little corny description I know, but she was in a lot of white).

I stopped by her and we made our way a few feet to my car to switch out my fuel bottle and we were off down the trail. I told her I was glad that she had trekked down here on a rainy, wet day to run with me on her birthday. She wanted to run and by setting a time and place gave her the motivation to run so she stated she was happy to do it.

We negotiated our way around the muddy, wet trail and had a good conversation about a bunch of stuff that I will not bore you with.

At the end of the run which turned out to be a total of 17.75 miles or a 8:09 pace in total with the additional 7.25 miles I ran with Ann Marie, we talked for a few more minutes as we stretched.

It is nice to see that a friendship is growing with another person who enjoys; family, friends, training, establishing goals and trying to balance it all.

Monday was a bonus day. Martin Luther King Day were we were all off to celebrated his great accomlishments as a human being. We spent the day unfortunately not honoring his achievements but accomplishing some projects and running errands. In a world that is always turning at a fast pace, we do not set our priorities straight and take the time to honor those who have made our lives better.

In regards to a better place, then I will close. My cousin Jackie who joined the Navy in 2009 was deployed for the first time yesterday. She is on her way to Hiati to assist with the relief efforts. I wish her a safe voyage and return.




I am adding Tuesday's mix in as well to complete the blog.
Tuesday was swim. Coach Mike is in California biking a few stages of the Tour de California. We are on our own with the workout. Mike provided Ann Marie (the swim manager) with this mornings workout which she supplied to us.
300M EZ
100M Side Kick
200M Paddles and Bouys
4 X 100M I.M.
6 X 400M on the 6:50's
200M Left Kick, Right Kick
8 X 100M on the 1:50's
200 Kick
100M Cool Down
Long workout, but very manageable.
Lunchtime will be upper weights with continual stretching.
Now I should be caught up and I know this was a long entry, but I said what I feel and if you do matter than you will not mind the length.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome as always, Corey. You covered a lot of ground in this one - quality stuff. Funny you mention "this world of immedidate gratification" as I was having a similar convo with Patrick last night. If they get it now, they *WILL* own the world when the time comes. Congrats to Ellie on her accomplishment; she practiced and persevered! Have to give her props for the challenge too. At this point, our kids still see many things w/out filters; I believe this is one area where we need to help keep the matter as unobscured (by our filters) as possible.

    Great run and glad AM made it, but was there ever a doubt? ;) BTW, when you use big words like "atramentous" include a link to the def. If anything, I can read your blog and learn a new word or three...here's the link to save any other simpletons like me time...http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/atramentous

    Finally, please tell Jackie thanks for serving!

    Always a great read...

    Cheers,

    L

    ReplyDelete