Friday, January 15, 2010

Week 14-"Adjusted Tempo Run"

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."
Albert Einstein


I guess Albert Einstein was the originator for the modern quote of, “it is what it is”. After writing that rather long blog yesterday, I am using Einstein’s wise words and going to incorporate them into my Life.

With the nagging issues I have I decided to ratchet back the goal pace I set for Boston, which at the time was an obtainable goal, to a new set training pace. The goal is still to qualify on Boston for Boston in 2011, but at a slower pace and time.

My original goal was a 3:04:00 marathon but now I have adjusted it to 3:15:00. This is a reasonable time to train for while I battle the nemesis that has wreaked havoc on my left leg and back.


I started the readjusted training this morning with a tempo run. The plan was 1 mile EZ, 5 miles at 7:29 pace and the 1 mile EZ. I saw Chris out in the parking lot, as he was getting ready to rondeavu with Brian who had been running for a couple of hours already, current time was 5:20AM. Yeah, my thoughts too.

Chris looked cold and he commented on the hawkish air as he turned into the direction of Morris Road to find Brian on the streets of Alpharetta. In the locker room I saw Bob getting ready to meet Jay for their run of 7 miles. Bob was dressed head-to-toe for the weather that we experienced last week. I thought Bob was over dressed and he would end up overheating out in the 25-degree air. I mentioned this concern and he agreed and peeled off a few layers.
I made my way upstairs to the Woodway treadmills at LTF I saw Calvin knocking out a few miles on one of the Woodways. I jumped on the TM next to him and saw that he was already 2.5 miles into his run. I knew that my company with another runner was going to short-lived this morning.


I started up and got the legs moving. The initial feeling was not good. Shooting pain in the hip, down the quad and into the knee. The toes started to numb over instantly as I focused on my form and posture to alleviate any unnecessary pressure on my lower back. After a the first mile I increased the speed from 8:27 to 7:47’s. About this time, Calvin was off the mill and I comment on the short run. It turns out Calvin was making his way up to North Georgia for the weekend to tackle Hog Pen. He was up there for the long weekend and decided to add a little challenge to his time while he was up there. We commented on the future rain in the forecast for tomorrow and his thoughts on cycling Hog Pen in the rain, but he seemed determine to be King of this Mountain.

Around mile 2.5, my body heated up as the sweat was pouring off me. Once the core is warmed up the back relaxes and the sciatica is abated. The pains were minor as I trudged along making sure to keep form.

Near the end of the 5 mile tempo I was up to a 7:03 pace which averaged the run out to a 7:24/mile. I cooled down with a 1 miler at 8:34 and went to stretch.


As I was spread out on the floor, I took notice of Chris coming up the stairs from running outside with Brian. Chris was pallid as he made his way over to where I planted myself to insure that I would run into the Wonder Twins and IronZen (Jeff). He indicated that the air temperature was not conducive to his Georgia blood. By this time, Brian meandered the staircase with an irascibility on his face, I knew the run was just as pleasant for him. After the 17-mile run, he indicated that his finger froze solid and the discomfort was abhorrent while he ran.

By this time the Wonder Twins and IronZen spotted Chris, Brian and myself and made their way to the point of the conversations. They all indicated though the air was crisp, the run was actually enjoyable. Bob is from upper NY, Jay is from Michigan and Jeff is from St. Louis. Enough said.

We talked a few more minutes and continued to stretch out the warm and for some, cold muscles. Then the party broke up. The Wonder Twins, IronZen and I have plans for a Friday morning breakfast feast at Cracker Barrel.

The four of us quickly hit the showers, changed and cruised over for a smorgasbord of pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, coffee, chocolate milk, Coke, OJ and of course Jay’s whole wheat “dry” toast.

When the four of us get together, it is always a great time. We talked about the Chicago Marathon which the four of are running in October, our kids, our jobs, our training, cars, beer and other stuff.

Sometimes we take for granted our busy lives, but it is always good to step out of the everyday and “break bread” with a group of guys I am proud to call friends.


This is what I see that it is and not anything else it should be: Friendship.

1 comment:

  1. Dude...sorry to read that the sciatica is acting up - hope you can find some relief. And that thing you finished on, frienship...yeah, glad to know a few folks with whom I share that feeling...stay well...

    ReplyDelete