Sunday, December 27, 2009

Day Eighty Seven - "Christmas Break"

Christmas is the day that holds all time together.
Alexander Smith

As I sit on the couch in Natick, watching the New England Patriots I reflect on the time spent here in New England.

Snow. Snow is a part of the Christmas experience as a child. My children have had the same experience being in New England during this Christmas holiday. The girls have felt Old Man Winter nipping at their nose from the time we landed in Boston on Tuesday. The temperatures drove down into the double digits and not getting above 15 degrees as the winter storm that blankets the North a few days prior is still evident. The storm left the landscape covered in a white Christmas snow adding to their excitement.

We have spent the last 6 days of this Christmas season in Boston visiting friends and spending time with family. The girls enjoy bouncing around with their 5 cousins (all girls) at their grandparents home. Time does not seem to disrupt their relationship with their kin.

The cousins have spent time with games, sleepovers and spending hours sledding with other local neighborhood kids. The time has gone fast for them but the time has been full of joy and cheer.

Sarah has also enjoyed spending these holiday season with her mother, father, sister and brother. The heart does grow founder when you are away.
My role during these holidays’s in Boston is just to go with the flow. These times are not for me, but for my family. Time goes by so quickly I just want my family to have a fantastic Christmas season with their family members.

I have spent a little time by myself during the season in New England. I ran two times, once on Christmas Eve and once on Saturday. Both runs were on the Boston Marathon route between Natick & Wellesley. The runs totaled 23 miles. It was a fitting start to the training I start on December 28th, to start where I will be finishing at the end of the 16 weeks.

We leave this area tomorrow as we travel by air back to our home. The girls will miss their cousins and the snow during this season of festivities. The next time they see their cousins they will have traded the snow boots and winter coats for bathing suits and sunscreen when the next visit will be the annual Cape Cod summer holiday. But tonight we will suspend time once more as all 5 cousins (all girls) sleep at their grandparents house and we take them to Bertucci’s Pizza for dinner to end our time in New England before we start a new beginning of a new year in Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment