Thursday, December 3, 2009

Day Sixty Three - "Swim or be Eaten"

I walked away from the sport for 17 years, then started swimming again recently in a master's program.
Mark Spitz

We all have things we are good at cooking, reading, math, being friendly, sports or anything you have a passion for. It amazes me that no matter the time away from the thing you are good at you easily pick it back up.

The pool this morning. When I arrived on deck, I saw that Susan was sitting on the bench in her hoodie and Carmen was next to her getting ready. Instantly I thought, “there is no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I am swimming in Lane 4.” I thought I was anaerobic on Tuesday swimming with an Ex-Olympian and a member of an Ex- Spanish Swim Team member would be detrimental to my health. These two athletes are amazing in the pool and are fun to watch in the outside lane was they jet by you in Lane 4.

I started to make my way towards Lane 5 to stake my claim in this lane but saw Ann Marie come in. In her hand, she had the money for her blowing away her Half Marathon pace last Thursday. The true amount owed was $425 for going excessively fast, but I settled for $42.00 made payable to the Humane Society of Forsyth County. Money well lost in my opinion. Ann Marie is on fire in her training and racing in 2009 and she like the rest are going to exceptionally well next week.

I dumped the winnings in my locker and shuffled over to Lane 5 to make sure I was not going to be tossed in with the sharks. Tuesday’s swim wreaked havoc on shoulders and today they were a little tender.

I jumped in Lane 5 but got a little back lash from the swimmers in the Lane, who will remain anonymous. At the same time, Susan was telling Mike that I need to swim with her but I ignored the conversation and started the warm up.

Coach Mike’s Swim:
250M Warm Up
100M Drills
100M Kick
400M Moderate
300M Pull with Paddles
5 X 400M @ 7:00
100M One Arm Swims
100M Catch-up
100M Right/Left Side Kicks
100M 5 Breaths per length
100M 4 Breaths per length
50M 2 breaths per length
150M Kick

The swim mojo was not there this morning due to the sore shoulders. What made it worse was Melissa was right on my tail on one set of 400M. I need to keep my eye on her. She is getting faster in a sneaky way...

I did notice after the swim that the Dynamic Duo of Jay, “The Man”, “The Myth”, “The Legend”(Jay's new quote for himself) and Bob, “Mr. 175lbs” were absent from the pool this morning. I have a theory that since they have trained together for the last 18 weeks they have become the “Wonder Twins” and cannot do any activity without the other. The need the presence of the other to activate the Wonder Rings. Jay and Bob have been transformed from the Dynamic Duo to the Wonder Twins effective immediately.

Next week starts the big countdown to Huntsville and the MetroPCS Dallas Marathon for the runners. The “Wonder Twins” are activating their rings and leaving on Thursday to hang in the town of Huntsville, AL for a day. I will be chauffeuring Sarah, Wren, Ann Marie and Stacy to the race site Friday morning. My sister’s marathon on the 13th in Dallas. This is a local race for her and her friend Kelly.

This is an awesome time for the group and I am excited to witness their hard work over the last 18 weeks pay off on the 12th and 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment