Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Week 16 - Track Day

Marathon running is a terrible experience: monotonous, heavy, and exhausting. Veikko Karvonen, 1954 European and Boston Marathon Champ
Last night we celebrated our own Christmas. Over the last 2 weeks we have been celebrating Christmas with friends and family, but Tuesday Night was a time for us to exchange presents in the comforts of our own home.
This morning started the first track workout of the season. Training for a spring marathon is tough over the winter. Since I am hanging around the homestead this week I decided to sleep in and hit the speed workout during the daylight hours.
I never thought I would dread a workout, especially the first one, but I went to the speed workout himming and haahing.
The menu had speed of 3 X 1600M at 5:51's. The warm up solidified the resistance I was experiencing. Muscles and joints were tight. I ran for 20 minutes before I felt a trickle of sweat under my hat and then I knew I was ready.
1st 1600M: 5:50
2nd 1600M: 5:51
3rd 1600M: 5:50
Finished up with 13 minutes of cool down. I hit the marks but it was not easy. The speed was a little monotonous and tiring, but the first test of the journey is complete.
Going to work on the mud room today. The recess lights are installed and today will be bead board along one wall. I will complete the tiling by the end of the week as well.
Running is complete for the day, but there is still a lot of "running around" that still needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment