Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day Sixty Eight - "Marathon Week"

"Deciding on when to kick is crucial
and depends on how the race is unfolding."
Michael East

We are 5-6 days away from Marathon Weekend. There is a nervous tension in the air from the runners…Well, maybe not all the runners, okay just the Wonder Twins. The emails are flying on the weather, their weight, the day they are heading to the race (they would have left last weekend if they could) and what to wear during the race. It is understandable for their nervous tendency. This is a huge race for them as it is for all. The Wonder Twins are going to do great at this race. I just hope they don’t kick out the first 5K at a sub 7 pace. Sarah, Wren, Ann Marie, Tracey, Michelle and Stacy are all going to do exceptionally well this weekend.

I emailed Sarah this morning to ask her what time she would like to leave for Huntsville on Friday. She decided to leave right after Grace leaves for school. The van will be pulling out of Suwanee around 8:15AM.

Last night until 12AM I spent my time in the garage preparing the van for the trip. The suspension after 128,000 miles was showing signs of weakness so I changed out the back shocks and started work on the front struts. The shocks took about 30 minutes to replace. The struts are a different animal. After decompression the coil spring on the one of the struts the tool slipped and the coil recoiled catching me in the Opponens pollics of the left hand. The impact sent a shock wave all the way down to the metacarpal and up through my radius. After the kick from the coil I was in some serious pain, but got through it to replace the strut and coil. Tonight I need to finish the other strut and re-install them on the van.

With the late night and sore left hand, I bagged swimming for some much needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment